Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA's pre-qual offers TOTALLY unreliable

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA's pre-qual offers TOTALLY unreliable

I've never checked if I qualified for any offers from BOA, so I decided to give it a whirl today.  BOOM!  Three offers pop up and I'm ecstatic, to say the least.  But, my scores are relatively low, so I naturally became suspicious and tried my wife -- same exact offer.  This wouldn't be a problem but for the fact that my wife's scores are even lower than my own.  So...I tried Zoey, my dog, same address, born in 2006, bogus last-4 for her social -- and what do you know?!?  She got an even better offer.  Smiley Very Happy

What a joke.  How is that even legal?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA's pre-qual offers TOTALLY unreliable

Omg...LOL.....
That's hilarious ...!

Can zoey put me as an AU on her card ?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll ask her when she gets back from the groomers tomorrow. lol

Message 3 of 14
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never checked if I qualified for any offers from BOA, so I decided to give it a whirl today.  BOOM!  Three offers pop up and I'm ecstatic, to say the least.  But, my scores are relatively low, so I naturally became suspicious and tried my wife -- same exact offer.  This wouldn't be a problem but for the fact that my wife's scores are even lower than my own.  So...I tried Zoey, my dog, same address, born in 2006, bogus last-4 for her social -- and what do you know?!?  She got an even better offer.  Smiley Very Happy

What a joke.  How is that even legal?

BoA prequals aren't as bad as Discover or (when you could actually check), Barclaycard. 

When a prequal is solid with BoA. Instead of "We recommend..." It will say, "Congratulations!" Usually with an APR. 

Discover is sometimes very vague with their prequals, and may/may not offer you an APR range or set APR. My mom had a solid prequal from Discover and was approved. I had no preapproval at all from them, and I was approved for an even higher limit than her. 

Message 4 of 14
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

A couple months ago I had a BoA pre-qual offer for the Cash Rewards card with the 150/500 bonus.  I went ahead applied for it when I might not have even bothered otherwise.  Of course, I was denied, even after recon.  Burned a HP for nothing... on EX which is already crowded.

Since then the only offer that shows up is for their $300+ secured card with $39 AF.  This was their counter-offer when they denied me.

Don't believe anything that page tells you.

Message 5 of 14
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

BoA is very YMMV as far as I've seen. I'm very open about my checking & savings with BoA, and a beneficiary IRA from my father with ML--it's not an absurd amount, but Platinum Honors. They've been unbelievably generous with my CL's... both cards opened within the past 2 months at $3,700. The first opened was my Travel Rewards with an immediate CLI button-- didn't realize I could hit it immediately-- less than 2 months later I ask for 10k and immediately get it............ at this point I'm feeling BoA and see the same wording for a "pre-qual" (very vague, it's not a guarantee) for the Cash Rewards card. I app'ed within my account, instant approval for $3,700. Both my Travel Rewards CLI and Cash Rewards approval were the same TU pull and I see the CLI button for my not-even-issued Cash Rewards and request 10k. Another HP from TU, nothing at first but a review message. Check back 5 minutes later in my account and that card is now at 5k. And they just upgraded my Trav Rew card to Visa Sig!

AmEx only gave me a $500 SL on my BCE at the same time as BoA's 3700. I know I have a relationship, but if you have one too it's worth it.

TL;DR: BoA extended 15k in credit over the last 2 months. AmEx, Discover, Chase and NFCU total CL is just over 5k all in. Only BoA (both cards) and Chase offered Welcome APR and Spend bonus. Tons of new accounts opened and BoA is my biggest supporter. All accounts, all lenders PIF as I type this (except auto and student loan ).

YMMV. Just my experience. Some love BoA, some despise.
What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 6 of 14
Namaste7
Established Contributor

While the online pre-qualify tool is not reliable, the solicited offers via mail (specified rates) are solid.
~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found this out the hard way as well. Curious though, are CLI with bofa SP or HP?
Message 8 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Customer-initiated CLIs are HP on TU 99% of the time.  Some people have been lucky to get solicited SP CLIs, and some of us have even had the rare auto-CLI (I got one last spring 11 years into the account).  

OP, there is a difference between prequalifying and marketing with all card issuers.  I don't know of any that say "we have nothing for you, get lost!" If they don't have something solid for you, they all offer something they think may be a possibility. All of BOA's prequals for me have been spot-on to the exact APR and they have been extremely generous to my family.  Keep checking back and look for an offer with a single APR listed (i.e. 15.99%, not "11.99% - 21.49% depending upon creditworthiness") - those are the real prequalifications.

Message 9 of 14
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

The past 2 CLI's that I have gotten (where I have clicked on the increase my credit limit link) have both been SP.
1st one went from 1000 to 2400 (2/17), most recent (6/27) went from 2400-5500. I'm more than happy with BOA
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.