cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA sent me an offer to take a Questionnaire and receive a $40 Gas Card-UPDATE 1/22

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA sent me an offer to take a Questionnaire and receive a $40 Gas Card

DI wrote: 

I have no problem with supermarkets keeping a tab of what I buy.  Maybe they will keep the products in stock for a change. 

Excellent point, DI! 

(Made me smile, too!)  :smileyhappy: 

Message 11 of 27
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I used to work in my uncle's large grocery store, which was later bought by Winn-Dixie.  He knew every customer by their first name and kept all the products they would ask for.  He had a small notebook to write down special orders and the next week, it would be there.

All the locals had credit at the store.  The elderly and shut-in's would just call in their grocery order.  We would fill it and DELIVER; putting things away in cabinets and "ice boxes".  Sometimes we got a quarter, most times, not.

Now we have huge companies, spending gazillions of dollars to learn what we like . . . just don't seem right.

I miss those simpler times.  I'll bet some of you do too.

Sorry to thread-jack, I just couldn't help it.

Message Edited by Itsmeagain on 12-21-2009 09:26 AM

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 27
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

I used to work in my uncle's large grocery store, which was later bought by Winn-Dixie.  He knew every customer by their first name and kept all the products they would ask for.  He had a small notebook to write down special orders and the next week, it would be there.

All the locals had credit at the store.  The elderly and shut-in's would just call in their grocery order.  We would fill it and DELIVER; putting things away in cabinets and "ice boxes".  Sometimes we got a quarter, most times, not.

Now we have huge companies, spending gazillions of dollars to learn what we like . . . just don't seem right.

(I couldn't help it either, once I saw your post!) 

The butcher also knew you had a dog, and would save bones for him...no charge, of course.  How times have changed!

Carry on... 

Message 13 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

A store would run itself out of business if it does the things your uncle has done in the past. But it's great to know a community driven stores once existed.

Message 14 of 27
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:
A store would run itself out of business if it does the things your uncle has done in the past. But it's great to know a community driven stores once existed.

True . . . . . sad but true.  He sold out in 1960 or 61.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 15 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

I still haven't received the membership information in the mail yet.  I'm waiting on it to arrive and cancel it.  I hope my $40 gas card be with it, 
Message 16 of 27
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

That is the conventional wisdom, but is not true.  Businesses that are in a niche market and know their customers continue to thrive.  There is a SuperWalmart about a mile away from my house and across the street is a locally owned Ace Hardware.  If I need a couple of screws or bolts Ace is the Place.  They have bins and bins of nuts and bolts and the people working there (the owners) know their stock.  And they are thriving.  If you go to Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot you are forced to buy a whole box of screws in a size that is not quite right.  There are all kinds of small independent shops in my town; wine, kitchen gadgets, a small brewery, local banks, etc. that work because they target themselves to the local economy in a way the Big Box stores, Anheuser Busch, Chase and BoA never could.  Walmart is fine for bulk stuff, but they can't serve all the needs of their customers all the time. 

Message 17 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

The wait for membership info and $40 gas card to arrive for cancellation continues.
Message 18 of 27
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

I always sign up for these special promotions, but usually not when it involves membership in some program.  My favorite, is that FirstTennessee (my bank) sent out a promotion almost 2 years ago that if you used billpay online once a month for three months they'd send you $100.  So I did, and then I stopped using it and got the same offer again, later realizing they send it to anyone that hasn't used billpay online for 3 months, so every 6 months for the past two years, I'd get $100 for basically paying my bills.  I think they stopped that promotion, though, I haven't gotten it since the third time Smiley Sad

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 19 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:
I always sign up for these special promotions, but usually not when it involves membership in some program.  My favorite, is that FirstTennessee (my bank) sent out a promotion almost 2 years ago that if you used billpay online once a month for three months they'd send you $100.  So I did, and then I stopped using it and got the same offer again, later realizing they send it to anyone that hasn't used billpay online for 3 months, so every 6 months for the past two years, I'd get $100 for basically paying my bills.  I think they stopped that promotion, though, I haven't gotten it since the third time Smiley Sad

That's nice!   I made $130 off a Chase Amazon card for something similar.  It's didn't cost me  anything in the process. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.