Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BP Visa

Hi, guys (and gals).

Kroger recently started a gas rewards program with BP, so I thought I'd get the BP Visa since I am using BP almost exclusively for my car now.

I get 25 cents per gallon for every $100 spent at BP.

My car takes about 16 gallons, and I ususlly try to get gas every 14 gallons . At this rate, BP gas is about $3.04 right now where I live, the savings would be $3.50 off $100 spent at BP. 

Please tell me if my math is off, or is this better than AMEX BCP at 3%?

I am not sure how to calculate this. Remember, I am talking exclusively BP gas on BP Visa and NOT other categories on AMEX BCP, like 6% groceries. I am only comparing BP gas on each card !!! Thanks !!!Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BP Visa

It would be $3.50 off every $147 ish in money spent at BP once you figure in the cost of the discounted tank of fuel. About 2%

But....you also get an additional $0.10 if you use your kroger rewards, assuming you can combine, and if their deal is the same as with the shell stations here in GA, so that would take you to about $4.90 on $147 in that case. That works out to about 3% if my math is correct.

It seems like it is just about a wash with a slight advantage to the BCP.

Personally, I just use the kroger fuel center every other week or so and get $0.30 off per gallon plus the 1.5% from my Cash Magnet or Quicksilver

EDIT: Just looked it up, and I was mistaken about the $0.10 cpg limit on shell stations here. I guess it has changed. I may  to have to test that out tomorrow when I go shopping.

Message 2 of 6
chfenton
Established Member

I got a pre-approval and it had a 90 day SUB of 25 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent anywhere.  Have run a plane ticket, an insurance bill, and some dr. bills through the BP card.  I'm about 60 days into the SUB and have already got about $180 of free gas (3 fillups of 20 gallons (the max) at about 3.00 per gallon).  Pretty good so far for a card I didn't seek.

Message 3 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me the advantage seems pretty slight and probably not worth being locked into using one specific brand of gas. I would just use the BCP.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This math is hurting my head.
Message 5 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it is working for you but cant beat the price of costco gas and very close to where i work and i get about 80 cent to 1 dollar off a gallon from gas stations close to where i live for supreme unleaded..  So huge savings for me Smiley Happy.  Whatever works for one doesnt always work for another for various reasons and if saving you a ton awesome!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.