Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Card with Long Term Value

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

BT Card with Long Term Value

What's a good BT card with long term value? I'd like to transfer some high interest (16%) debt to a 0% card. If there is a 0% purchase APR as well that would be great. If I am takign a HP and having to take on an additional card I'd like it to have long term value either through PC or some other form. A goal card of mine is CSP so perhaps a Chase BT card?

Here are my current cards:

NFCU Amex (which has the debt)

Capital One Quicksilver

BankAmericard 

Thankson advance for the help.

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BT Card with Long Term Value

Amex Every day, fee free, 2.4x MR on grocery.

Message 2 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the type of reward structure you're looking for.  PenFed credit union can be an option.  They have the Platinum Rewards and the Power Cash Rewards Visa cards that offer some decent rewards as long as you're not looking for direct transfer to an airline partner or hotel.  

They have an ongoing 0%/12m/3% fee balance transfer on just about all of their card with the exception of maybe the PenFed Promise which I believe is 4.99% on BTs with no transfer fee.  Their website will say that the BTs are for a limited time but I've been with them for several years and I can't ever think of an instance where they weren't offering the 0%/12m/3% option even when it wasn't advertised.

Just the only option but certainly one to consider if you're looking for a BT card with some sort of benefits/reward structure. 

Message 3 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Citi Diamond has 0%BT FOR 18 months but there is a 5% BT fee.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

Discover.
0% offers available regularly. BT options. 5% categories.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover has a 18 month 0% BT offer with 3% fee and 6 months 0% purchase apr. That may be what u are looking for. Card also have cashback match the first year and rotating 5% categories.

Just google discover 18 month balance transfer offer and apply from the link through nerd wallet.
Message 6 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi DP, long bt intro, possible future bt offers, bts can be deposited into your checking, possible future pc availability.
Message 7 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditSage wrote:

What's a good BT card with long term value? I'd like to transfer some high interest (16%) debt to a 0% card. If there is a 0% purchase APR as well that would be great. If I am takign a HP and having to take on an additional card I'd like it to have long term value either through PC or some other form. A goal card of mine is CSP so perhaps a Chase BT card?

Here are my current cards:

NFCU Amex (which has the debt)

Capital One Quicksilver

BankAmericard 

Thankson advance for the help.

I have a few Chase cards and I can't think of an instance where I've been offered a BT on any of their products.  Others have mentioned the Citi DP and I had that card at one point as well.  Outside of the inital BT offer I never really received anything else.  I eventually PCd it to a Citi Premier.

I still have my useless Simplicity card that can't be PCd.  I haven't had an offer on that one either since the initial and I only put a swipe it just to keep it active with hopes of Citi one day allowing it to be PCd or they phase it out and move it to some other worthwhile card. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP seems to be focused on getting CSP at some point.
Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited both have 0% BT and purchases for 15 months. 3% transfer fee on both. Either could be PC'd to CSP down the road (have to wait at least a year) with at least a $5k CL.

Or could use that card to get in with Chase and app for CSP after you've got a good relationship going. Points on Freedom and FU are essentially cash back but can be converted to UR when you get the CSP/CSR, and then you have the earning power of both.

I've recently been getting 0%/12m BT checks every few weeks for my FU as well, so it's not necessarily a one time thing for the 0% either, but, YMMV.

Edit: No SUB on CSP of you PC from one of the others.
Message 9 of 17
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Freedom Unlimited looks ineresting.. is the 12 month wait a hard and fast rule? I was hoping for the CSP before then. Also, how are their SL usually?

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.