Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUH-BYE Synchrony, BUH-BYE Verizon

tag
blindambition
Senior Contributor

BUH-BYE Synchrony, BUH-BYE Verizon

It's been a long time coming, but I finally cancelled Verizon Wireless. The service I've had since 1992, when I was 20 years old. My SO and I went with T-Mobile. They work fine in my area, and soo much cheaper than Verizon.

I swore I'd never have a Synchrony card, but I got the Verizon Visa when it was released in June 2020. Strictly for the autopay benefit, and terrific SUB. Received over $500 on that SUB. No real issues with Synchrony, only multiple reporting the first 2 months. Payments posted promptly, and no autopay hiccups. Those were my only concerns.

Switched phones on Tuesday. Last Verizon bill will post the 20th, but turned off autopay and removed Verizon Visa. I'll put last payment on Cash Plus. Verizon Visa was $0, closed this morning. 😊 

I can now take advantage of the 5% cell phone category on Cash Plus. No more lame Verizon Dollars, which only have any value on Verizon. 👏🏻 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: BUH-BYE Synchrony, BUH-BYE Verizon

Congrats on your changes, @blindambition!  Sometimes a little housekeeping is in order.   Those "verizon dollars" were a major turn-off for me on that Verizon Visa.  I have Verizon and don't plan to switch but I like flexibility in how I redeem rewards.  And I was aware of how that card entangles you further with Verizon.   Enjoy your streamlined wallet and new monthly savings!!  Smiley Very Happy

Garfield_You rock.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 35
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Congrats on your changes, @blindambition!  Sometimes a little housekeeping is in order.   Those "verizon dollars" were a major turn-off for me on that Verizon Visa.  I have Verizon and don't plan to switch but I like flexibility in how I redeem rewards.  And I was aware of how that card entangles you further with Verizon.   Enjoy your streamlined wallet and new monthly savings!!  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @Aim_High! Verizon was the only reliable service in NYC at one time, and never had an issue with them. I was once employed with them.

The west coast metro I live in now has better coverage from T-Mobile. We'd have a consistent 1 bar, with LTE from Verizon in house. Now 3 bars and 5G with T-Mobile. That and cost were enough this time around.

I'v closed 3 cards in last 8 months. Always good to reevaluate the lineup and needs.

Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 35
purebulldogs
Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

It's been a long time coming, but I finally cancelled Verizon Wireless. The service I've had since 1992, when I was 20 years old. My SO and I went with T-Mobile. They work fine in my area, and soo much cheaper than Verizon.

I swore I'd never have a Synchrony card, but I got the Verizon Visa when it was released in June 2020. Strictly for the autopay benefit, and terrific SUB. Received over $500 on that SUB. No real issues with Synchrony, only multiple reporting the first 2 months. Payments posted promptly, and no autopay hiccups. Those were my only concerns.

Switched phones on Tuesday. Last Verizon bill will post the 20th, but turned off autopay and removed Verizon Visa. I'll put last payment on Cash Plus. Verizon Visa was $0, closed this morning. 😊 

I can now take advantage of the 5% cell phone category on Cash Plus. No more lame Verizon Dollars, which only have any value on Verizon. 👏🏻 

I dropped Verizon also. It got too expensive and I started having network issues and the data only worked half the time. Much happier off of Verizon. TMobile works well now and the network gets better and better. I actually get better data performance in rural spots with tmobiles 600mhz low band spectrum and their mid band seems to really be expanding. 

As for the Verizon card, I never really wanted it. I considered getting it for the autopay discount since that's the only cc they seem to allow it with but it wasn't worth it for me. 

Message 4 of 35
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@purebulldogs wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

I dropped Verizon also. It got too expensive and I started having network issues and the data only worked half the time. Much happier off of Verizon. TMobile works well now and the network gets better and better. I actually get better data performance in rural spots with tmobiles 600mhz low band spectrum and their mid band seems to really be expanding. 

As for the Verizon card, I never really wanted it. I considered getting it for the autopay discount since that's the only cc they seem to allow it with but it wasn't worth it for me. 

Verizon was reliable, we weren't dropping calls, or even having data issues, but the price is out of hand. Tired of calls to get better pricing. If 30 years doesn't show loyalty. Then fogettaboutit. 😆 

Enjoy your new service.

Message 5 of 35
Trikoret
Contributor

When I had Verizon I used to Paypal key linked to my cash+ card. Verizon would see it as a debit card. Unfortunately, Paypal killed it. I was done with Verizon when Paypal key got discontinued. 

Message 6 of 35
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:

When I had Verizon I used to Paypal key linked to my cash+ card. Verizon would see it as a debit card. Unfortunately, Paypal killed it. I was done with Verizon when Paypal key got discontinued. 

Yeah, that method didn't last long. Verizon is the only carrier that makes you jump hoops for autopay discount.

Message 7 of 35
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Each to his own as they say. Personally I love my SYNC Verizon Visa and don't have any problem at all basically having zero cellphone bill every month by just using the Reward Points or Verizon Dollars as you call them to pay that bill.

Message 8 of 35
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Awesome sauce. 22 tear t-mobile customer here and happy as well. I could never like Verizon as well. I worked for them fresh out of college in the 80's and I will never forgive their greed when it was cheaper to call family in Florida than family in upstate NY. Done and done.

Congrats on thinning the herd also. I'm about to chop Cabelas and that worthless $1000 Chase Amazon Visa as well.

Message 9 of 35
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Awesome sauce. 22 tear t-mobile customer here and happy as well. I could never like Verizon as well. I worked for them fresh out of college in the 80's and I will never forgive their greed when it was cheaper to call family in Florida than family in upstate NY. Done and done.

Congrats on thinning the herd also. I'm about to chop Cabelas and that worthless $1000 Chase Amazon Visa as well.

I like you am a former employee @805orbust!! It was known as Bell Atlantic Mobile when I started, and worked well into the name change in New York Metro. I remember the days of 40 minutes on analog for $20. Along with your brick phone that wasn't pocket sized. 😂 

Very happy with T-Mobile so far. We tried the free test drive before the switch.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.