cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in with USAA - Offered me a secured Amex ?

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

Back in with USAA - Offered me a secured Amex ?

Have been a member for 26 years. Had a charge off and then the BK just got back in last week. Opened a checking/savings account.

Tried for a CC they offered a secured AMEX. I already took the HP. Don't need the CC but I feel I need to rebuild the relationship with the secured CC.

Any opnions on this ?

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Back in with USAA - Offered me a secured Amex ?

@tussking wrote:

Have been a member for 26 years. Had a charge off and then the BK just got back in last week. Opened a checking/savings account.

Tried for a CC they offered a secured AMEX. I already took the HP. Don't need the CC but I feel I need to rebuild the relationship with the secured CC.

Any opnions on this ?

I agree.  I got a USAA secured CC when I started cleaning up my previous credit mess and now I have another unsecured $6000 Visa with them in addition to the secured card.  After I got their secured card a lot of doors opened.

Message 2 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

TK...

Just like I told you in your last USAA post, I wouldnt get the secured CC. It doesnt graduate, and its a 2 yr commitment. The secured card may open doors for some, (that didn't burn USAA in some form of manner), but for us, who have, having their secured card won't help to get back in any sooner.

For those that IIB USAA, regardless if you got the secured card or not, there is still a significant amount of years that need to pass first for an unsecured product from them. Right now its 5-7 yrs for an unsecured CC with them post DC. Their rules/policy not mine.

I think a better way to help build a relationship at this point is to make regular monthly deposits into a savings acct with them, which is exactly what Im doing now. I too was offered the secured card, but Im WAYYYYY past a secured card at this stage. Ill just do my time, and try again next year at the 5 yr mark. Just my 2-cents. Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 7
tussking
Established Contributor

Thank you pizza ! I didnt see your response in the other thread. Sounds like a great plan to me.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Message 4 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tussking wrote:

Thank you pizza ! I didnt see your response in the other thread. Sounds like a great plan to me.

yep, I did post lol..

waiting is rough I know, but I can understand and accept their BK policy.  Id be reluclant to loan money or give someone a CC again too if they BK'ed on me. I see their point of view.  I may not like it, but I respect it.  Ill try next year at the 5 yr mark, if not, Ill try at 6yr and 7 yr marks.  Hearing that 7yrs is the mark though. Good luck to you in your decision. You do what you feel is right for you and your situation. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
tussking
Established Contributor

Our scores are close...Any new cards you have gotten lately ?

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Message 6 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@tussking wrote:

Our scores are close...Any new cards you have gotten lately ?

When you say lately, you mean in the last month? LOL... just kidding.  Last new accts for me was in April...Blispay $5k, and Penfed PLOC $5k.  Im staying in the garden as far as new accts go, but I have a few cards I want CLI's on... Smiley Happy  But nothing for 6 months, God willing, LOL..Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.