Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdating amex cards

tag
bmwatts0386
Established Member

Backdating amex cards

i opened an amex card back in 2005, i closed it in 2007. i dont even remember why i closed it but i didnt know anything about credit back then and now i realize how stupid that was. there were no negatives on the account at all. it was all paid on time and everything. i just opened up amex BCP and PRG cards a week ago and i was wondering if amex would backdate on a closed account? thanks!

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Backdating amex cards

@bmwatts0386 wrote:

i opened an amex card back in 2005, i closed it in 2007. i dont even remember why i closed it but i didnt know anything about credit back then and now i realize how stupid that was. there were no negatives on the account at all. it was all paid on time and everything. i just opened up amex BCP and PRG cards a week ago and i was wondering if amex would backdate on a closed account? thanks!

Absolutely.   Just call or write and explain that you had a card in 2005, and can they update your Member Since data.

Message 2 of 63
bmwatts0386
Established Member

awesome! thanks!

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 3 of 63
bmwatts0386
Established Member

called today and got both backdated to 2005, very easy to do and took about 5 minutes. Thanks!

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 4 of 63
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@bmwatts0386 wrote:

called today and got both backdated to 2005, very easy to do and took about 5 minutes. Thanks!

congrats a 2 card 7 year bump is always nice. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 63
bronxbomerss2
Established Member

i am curious as to how this look on the CB? i had a zync card opened in december of 2011 and close in december of 2012. Just got my BCE this month and they said they will send me a new card that reflects my "member since 2011" so will my BCE card on my CB show an opened date of december 2011? thanks guys!

Message 6 of 63
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Yep, it shows on your credit reports as well.  The reporting to the credit bureau will show the backdated year combined with the month when the new account opened.

So in the case of getting a BCE this month that backdates to 2011, your account will show to the credit bureaus as being from 9/2011.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

Yep, it shows on your credit reports as well.  The reporting to the credit bureau will show the backdated year combined with the month when the new account opened.

So in the case of getting a BCE this month that backdates to 2011, your account will show to the credit bureaus as being from 9/2011.

Yes, and this is one of things that makes little sense (often, as in this case, making the second card earlier than the first!).   Leaving aside the whole question of whether backdating should happen at all, presumably Amex knows the month and year of the original card, so why not use that as the backdate?   Why the strangeness with the month, that encourages lots more apps (well, among the tiny percentage that know I guess!) in January?

Message 8 of 63
bronxbomerss2
Established Member

exactly, i guess i should have applied in january for maximum backdating lol Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 63
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

That's why I'm doing in Jan. I need to boost up my AAOA a bit. Smiley Tongue
Message 10 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.