Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Bad Citi

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad Bad Citi

This Morning i woke up to a email from these jokers about two of my cards getting a credit limit decrease. I have had these 2 cards since 2011 and i have a prestige card, They decreased my double cash from over 10k to 300 bucks and my dividend from 10k to 6700 and they left my prestiage alone. they are talking about i have excessive debit i only have 15k in cc debit and 200k in credit, No missed payments and no lates on any account and my scores are in the 750 range, they wanted a hard pull to look at my credit again i told them no and closed the double cash card! I am so flaming mad! Goes to show no matter how well you treat a bank and no matter how long you have been a customer they do not care!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Bad Bad Citi

@Anonymous wrote:

This Morning i woke up to a email from these jokers about two of my cards getting a credit limit decrease. I have had these 2 cards since 2011 and i have a prestige card, They decreased my double cash from over 10k to 300 bucks and my dividend from 10k to 6700 and they left my prestiage alone. they are talking about i have excessive debit i only have 15k in cc debit and 200k in credit, No missed payments and no lates on any account and my scores are in the 750 range, they wanted a hard pull to look at my credit again i told them no and closed the double cash card! I am so flaming mad! Goes to show no matter how well you treat a bank and no matter how long you have been a customer they do not care!

Sorry to hear! Is Citi subscribing to the book of Barclays now?  Is that $15K all on one card and making the utilization high for that specific card? That's some absurd AA for the stats you speak of!

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their early warning system must have tripped. Perhaps it is time to take a look at what you are doing, just in case.

Message 3 of 23
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

From 10K to $300? What the hell do they want you to do with that? Then they want to HP you to check again? A soft pull was enough for them to get the information they needed and see you were 15K in debt. Not sure what the difference in data is but what is a HP going to give them that they don't already have with that SP?

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 4 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dang... I'm sorry to hear about this.  Smiley Sad

Just a few days ago I mentioned how Citi back in the 90s was 'solid' for me, even when I kept my cards maxed out for months/years on end.  I guess that's yet another thing that I'll have to start speaking of in the past tense.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the 15k is spread into a few different cards I only had a balance on one of my citicards. Strange thing is they left the 22k on my prestige card alone. It's no loss really to think about I only used them for their low rate balance transfer offers. I was going to but the dividend card but they left that at 6700. I juat got a offer from navy for a gorewards card the other day. It's all strange citi keeps sending me offers for their American airlines cards
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi did the same thing to me, but way back in 2009. I carried all my credit card debt (thanks to 0% BTs) on my Citi Diamond something card. It was around a 10k and my only debt. Granted, I was living beyond my means and this was my lesson. Anyway, despite having great credit, they out of the blue reduce my limit from 20k to my balance. A month later a got a notice that my apr was going up from 6.5% (unheard of and amazing!) to 24%. I was able to close to the account and maintain the 6.5 interested rate. Took me a few years to pay off and I learned my lesson with credit cards.

Anyway, I'm huge Citi fan, but the second they stater seeing systemic and individual risk, I would be concerned.
Message 7 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear but defaults are rising and the banks are being proactive in getting ahead of the curve this time by cutting before the limits are reached. I detest what they are doing these days, in the 80s and 90s one could max all cards without losing a dime in credit and still get more cards if you had the income to support the payments.

Message 8 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

So about a 7% utilization gets one cld, not good. Id hate to be over 10% Smiley Wink SMH. I seriously cant wait to pay down my cc debt and i think im gonna pick 5 and roll the dice. Id rather be the one clding then the bank . Sorry about yours. Was tour 15k most recent or have you been carrying for awhile?
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry around that much I could pay it off but I try to keep it in the sweet spot around 10% so to speak to get the maximum boost in my score, if.i payed it all off then my score would drop. I just sold a house back in feb and as soon as wells Fargo reported it payed my score dropped 20 points.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.