cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baddie removed, EXP credit score through the roof, should I app?

tag
Ellifino
New Contributor

Baddie removed, EXP credit score through the roof, should I app?

Hey all,

Been trying to build / rebuild my credit after tumultuous 20's and a bad divorce.  I have this stupid Sprint bill that keeps popping up that has been holding my credit down, and had never had a revolving card before.

Had to get a car loan, decided to do something about my credit, and Chase was wonderful and gave me a $500 Chase Freedom a month ago.

With the advice from the boards, I've been trying to take care of the collection.  Experian just emailed me this morning that as a result of the dispute they removed the Sprint charge (which was showing up as like 3 months old when it's really 4 years old.)

My EXP score as of this morning (paid for thru MyFico) is a 751.  751!!! My score was only over 600 for the first time this year.

I WANT TO APP FOR SOMETHING AWESOME BEFORE SPRINT PUTS THE COLLECTION BACK ON.  Because I'm sure they'll find a way to do that.  Is that stupid?  Should I not?  Should I just garden my Freedom & my CapOne?  Should I ask Chase for a CLI instead?  If I should app, where should I app that will pull EXP and not care that my oldest revolving balance is like 2 months old?

My EXP report has 4 inq's, two from car purchasing in April.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Smiley Happy

Fico Scores: EQ 742 (8/2014), TU 732 (8/2014), EX 731 (8/2014)
Starting Scores: EQ 593 (12/2011)
Goal Score: 750 on all three
My Wallet: Amex BCP $2000 / Chase Freedom $1000 / Chase Slate $2000 / AAFP Bank of America Cash Rewards $1000 / Capital One: $3300 / Amazon Store Card: $1100 / Target: $800 / Walmart: $850 / PayPal SmartConnect: $500
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: Baddie removed, EXP credit score through the roof, should I app?

@Ellifino wrote:

Hey all,

Been trying to build / rebuild my credit after tumultuous 20's and a bad divorce.  I have this stupid Sprint bill that keeps popping up that has been holding my credit down, and had never had a revolving card before.

Had to get a car loan, decided to do something about my credit, and Chase was wonderful and gave me a $500 Chase Freedom a month ago.

With the advice from the boards, I've been trying to take care of the collection.  Experian just emailed me this morning that as a result of the dispute they removed the Sprint charge (which was showing up as like 3 months old when it's really 4 years old.)

My EXP score as of this morning (paid for thru MyFico) is a 751.  751!!! My score was only over 600 for the first time this year.

I WANT TO APP FOR SOMETHING AWESOME BEFORE SPRINT PUTS THE COLLECTION BACK ON.  Because I'm sure they'll find a way to do that.  Is that stupid?  Should I not?  Should I just garden my Freedom & my CapOne?  Should I ask Chase for a CLI instead?  If I should app, where should I app that will pull EXP and not care that my oldest revolving balance is like 2 months old?

Congrats!  Nah I think your good to go.  I would check your other two reports to make sure they look good as well and then app away...

Why do you think Sprint will put the collection back on?

Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Ellifino wrote:

Hey all,

Congrats!  Nah I think your good to go.  I would check your other two reports to make sure they look good as well and then app away...

Why do you think Sprint will put the collection back on?

I would definately check the other two reports first , when i had an collection removed EX removed them an lot earlier than both EQ and TU . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

Great score but you will need more than 2 months of history for the prime lenders like Amex(pulls EX). Garden what you have for at least 4 more months. You're pretty thin right now. How's your TU? You may be able to pick up a couple GECRB/Synchrony cards like Walmart, Amazon.
Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I disagree about getting amex and I think it would be very much worth the app to try for any Amex.

I would probably just apply for a 2nd chase vs CLI unless you can verify the collection is off your other reports too because Chase usually doesn't pull EX for CLI I don't think but they do for apps.

Citi, Bank of America would also pull EX for app if you want a card from them.

Message 5 of 9
Ellifino
New Contributor

My history isn't thin- I have been in school forever, so I have like 22 student loans, all in good standing, never late, the oldest of which is 12 years old.  I had just never had a revolving account before.  I did get Walmart, Target, and Amazon cards two months ago, too- they all pulled TU on the same day and are all reporting 0 balance.  My TU still has the collection on it.  It's my EXP which is now squeaky clean, no lates or derogatories, AAoA at 5 1/2 years, oldest account 12 years, 4 hard inquiries in the past year.

Would Amex / Citi / BoA really just look at EXP?  How do they feel about short revolving account files?  I guess the smart thing to do would be to garden for six more months, I just wish I trusted the Sprint collection to not come back.  And I would dearly love to have a card with a limit large enough for regular use to result in low utilization- it's tough to keep utilization under 10% on a $500 limit card.  Does anyone have any insight on how forgiving of new accounts the EXP pullers are?

Thank you everyone for all of your help!!

Fico Scores: EQ 742 (8/2014), TU 732 (8/2014), EX 731 (8/2014)
Starting Scores: EQ 593 (12/2011)
Goal Score: 750 on all three
My Wallet: Amex BCP $2000 / Chase Freedom $1000 / Chase Slate $2000 / AAFP Bank of America Cash Rewards $1000 / Capital One: $3300 / Amazon Store Card: $1100 / Target: $800 / Walmart: $850 / PayPal SmartConnect: $500
Message 6 of 9
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Congratulations OP!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
jd352
Regular Contributor

@Ellifino wrote:

My history isn't thin- I have been in school forever, so I have like 22 student loans, all in good standing, never late, the oldest of which is 12 years old.  I had just never had a revolving account before.  I did get Walmart, Target, and Amazon cards two months ago, too- they all pulled TU on the same day and are all reporting 0 balance.  My TU still has the collection on it.  It's my EXP which is now squeaky clean, no lates or derogatories, AAoA at 5 1/2 years, oldest account 12 years, 4 hard inquiries in the past year.

Would Amex / Citi / BoA really just look at EXP?  How do they feel about short revolving account files?  I guess the smart thing to do would be to garden for six more months, I just wish I trusted the Sprint collection to not come back.  And I would dearly love to have a card with a limit large enough for regular use to result in low utilization- it's tough to keep utilization under 10% on a $500 limit card.  Does anyone have any insight on how forgiving of new accounts the EXP pullers are?

Thank you everyone for all of your help!!

Amex typically exclusively pulls Experian. Amex doesn't always give the barn away to those with short revolving history, but I have seen success with their new Everyday card. I personally went with a charge card first (Zync was my first) app'd for their revolving card (BCE) after 1 year with the charge card. I app'd for their PRG at the same time as the BCE and was approved for both. I recently closed the Zync and app'd for the Everyday Preferred as well as upgrading the PRG to Platinum. Once you are in, your in and can basically do what works best for you. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Would be worth the pulls to me to try Amex, citi, chase with new score and current cards!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.