cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer Card - Which route should I go?

tag
Bonafacio
Established Member

Balance Transfer Card - Which route should I go?

I have :

Discover

AMEX

Chase

Capital One

NFCU

Barclay just closed on me for insufficient use or whatever. I've been considering another Discover or Wells Fargo because of pre-approval letters. I've been gardening a bit and wasn't too have another card or two to build with . Any other suggestions? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gollum
Established Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer Card - Which route should I go?

@Bonafacio wrote:

I have :

Discover

AMEX

Chase

Capital One

Barclay just closed on me. I've been considering another Discover or Wells Fargo because of pre-approval letters. I've been gardening a bit and wasn't too have another card or two to build with . Any other suggestions? 

Since you already have four credit cards, and Barclay "just closed on me" (I'm not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good), I would not apply for another credit card in order to "build." I would just keep paying my bills on time and try to be patient. That's what you would do if you didn't think there was some sort of trick to "building" credit, right?

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bonafacio wrote:

I have :

Discover

AMEX

Chase

Capital One

Barclay just closed on me. I've been considering another Discover or Wells Fargo because of pre-approval letters. I've been gardening a bit and wasn't too have another card or two to build with . Any other suggestions? 

Go with Disco but be prepared for the 4506-t. 

What do you plan to do with this card? Is the BT so you can zero out the broccoli card that closed?

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Bonafacio wrote:

I have :

Discover

AMEX

Chase

Capital One

In my opinion the best balance transfer cards are credit union non-rewards platinum cards with no balance transfer fee.

IMHO none of the lenders you mention are good for balance transfers. Discover used to be good but cut back on its balance transfer 'offers'.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 7
Bonafacio
Established Member

For not using it enough.

Message 5 of 7
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Credit unions are indeed an option. Discover isn't bad as they usually have 0% on purchases and BT's for 14 months. Citi has the Diamond Preferred and the Simplicity.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The megabanks sometimes offer a no-fee balance transfers, but the offers pop up and vanish regularly.  Here's two credit union options:

Navy Fed (need family military connection) - 0% for 12 months, no BT fee https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/offers/platinum.php

First Tech Fed (Oregon / tech employers / a $10 "association" member fee) - 0% for 12 cycles, no BT fee https://www.firsttechfed.com/credit-cards/credit-cards/platinum

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.