Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer VS. Installment Loan

tag
pennccrn
New Contributor

Balance Transfer VS. Installment Loan

Hi all: I wanted to run some math by everyone to make sure I'm making a "smart and educated" financial decision.  I'm looking to pay off about $6000 of CC debt, that I would like to pay off in one year. Currently, that $6000 in on a BOA CC carrying a variable APR of 13.45% I have narrowed this down to three options: 1) Keep the debt where it is and pay off aggressively 2) Do a balance transfer to another CC at 0% (plus fees) 3) Do an installment loan at my credit at starting 9.50%. I have a FICO score that floats b/t 690-705, mostly gets dinged for high utilization, although I did have a 30 day late payment about 4 years ago.  Another thing to add is that I'm doing this strictly to save $, not to worry about what my credit score will do.

So in calculating my fees:

Option 1: Keep as is: interest would be $780 (assuming that rates would remain low)

Option 2: Move to CC balance transfer: assuming a 5% transfer fee cost would be $300

Option 3: Installment loan at the credit union: total interest would be $600 (not sure if any orignination fees or other fees would apply)

Just wanted to get the group's perspective to see if I'm calculating this correctly and if I should consider anything else.

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer VS. Installment Loan

@pennccrn wrote:

Hi all: I wanted to run some math by everyone to make sure I'm making a "smart and educated" financial decision.  I'm looking to pay off about $6000 of CC debt, that I would like to pay off in one year. Currently, that $6000 in on a BOA CC carrying a variable APR of 13.45% I have narrowed this down to three options: 1) Keep the debt where it is and pay off aggressively 2) Do a balance transfer to another CC at 0% (plus fees) 3) Do an installment loan at my credit at starting 9.50%. I have a FICO score that floats b/t 690-705, mostly gets dinged for high utilization, although I did have a 30 day late payment about 4 years ago.  Another thing to add is that I'm doing this strictly to save $, not to worry about what my credit score will do.

Option 1: Keep as is: interest would be $780 (assuming that rates would remain low)

Option 2: Move to CC balance transfer: assuming a 5% transfer fee cost would be $300

Option 3: Installment loan at the credit union: total interest would be $600 (not sure if any orignination fees or other fees would apply)

Just wanted to get the group's perspective to see if I'm calculating this correctly and if I should consider anything else.

Find out more about potential fees for #3 first.

Also, it might be hard to get approved for any kind of new credit if you have extremely high utilization being reported.

You can also consider Chase Slate. There's no BT fees.

What is your utilization at?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@pennccrn wrote:

Find out more about potential fees for #3 first.

Also, it might be hard to get approved for any kind of new credit if you have extremely high utilization being reported.

You can also consider Chase Slate. There's no BT fees.

What is your utilization at?

I agree with enharu we need to know overall util. I think option 2 may be best if your overall util. is not very high.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
pennccrn
New Contributor

enharu & ls2982: Thanks to you both for your quick reply. Current UR is 42%, (19.5k used of 46k available) however one card is within 1,000 of the CL. I plan to check additional fees on Option 3 (installment loan). I know I inquired which one of these would be the most finacially prudent but would there be a different answer if I asked which method would help my credit the most?

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@pennccrn wrote:

enharu & ls2982: Thanks to you both for your quick reply. Current UR is 42%, (19.5k used of 46k available) however one card is within 1,000 of the CL. I plan to check additional fees on Option 3 (installment loan). I know I inquired which one of these would be the most finacially prudent but would there be a different answer if I asked which method would help my credit the most?

Installment loans are factored out of your revolving credit utilization, so your scores might see a small boost from the lower utilization. I don't think it's going to be a very big boost though because your scores also take a ding from opening a new account + inquiry. Also, some banks do not like it when loan balances are too high compared to original amount borrowed.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Option 2 if you qualify.

Option 3 as a back up

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Message 6 of 9
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Your math is wrong on #1 & #3, unless you plan to pay no principle until you pay it all off at once after a year.

That notwithstanding

If you plan to pay off the loan in 12 equal payments, options 2 is clearly better.

On the other hand if you plan to "pay it off aggresivley" you could beat #2 with either #1 or #3, and it could come down to fees on 3 and qualyfying

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@pennccrn wrote:

Check pre-qual on Chase... If they offer Slate that has $0 Transfer Free first 60 days think it is and 0% for 15 months!!! and if pre-qual chances are good.

also check pre-qual for Citi.

2. If you don't get any of these offers through pre-qual maybe cold apply for 2 of some card... if not good outcome (also when applying I would not include the BT in the approval, wait to get approved then go do the BT)

3.  If no credit card with large enough limit then go loan... credit wise it will help but how long are you talking to pay off? do you need a full 36-60 months? short term savings of a 1-2 year credit card BT won't help if you have to move it 3 times saying that you stick to it and don't run up any new credit and pay the full amount you need to get it done in the years planned vs loan you will have to pay the minimum to get it paid on time but you will free up all your credit cards again so... still need to be dedicated to paying off and not creating more room for yourself.

Message 8 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@pennccrn wrote:

Check pre-qual on Chase... If they offer Slate that has $0 Transfer Free first 60 days think it is and 0% for 15 months!!! and if pre-qual chances are good.

also check pre-qual for Citi.

2. If you don't get any of these offers through pre-qual maybe cold apply for 2 of some card... if not good outcome (also when applying I would not include the BT in the approval, wait to get approved then go do the BT)

3.  If no credit card with large enough limit then go loan... credit wise it will help but how long are you talking to pay off? do you need a full 36-60 months? short term savings of a 1-2 year credit card BT won't help if you have to move it 3 times saying that you stick to it and don't run up any new credit and pay the full amount you need to get it done in the years planned vs loan you will have to pay the minimum to get it paid on time but you will free up all your credit cards again so... still need to be dedicated to paying off and not creating more room for yourself.

I think that util may be a bit too high to get a decent CL. Would most definitely have to recon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.