Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer and Closed Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfer and Closed Card

Hello,

I have a closed account with Discover. I wanted to transfer that balance to another card for the 0% interest for 9 months offer. I know this question is stupid but I wanted to know any answer. Would it affect my credit if I transfer my debt from one closed account to a current open account? Thank you for any answes.  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Balance Transfer and Closed Card

With a balance on a closed Discover, that means you are paying high interest. Moving the balance to a zero APR will lower cash costs.  

There may be some impact depending on how your utilization thresholds are changed, but it is temporary and the cash saved on lower interest is the real benefit.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No stupid questions hereSmiley Happy. No, it would actually be better to let that closed card rest at $0. So bt away and try to pay it off as soon as possible if the debt isnt too burdensome imo.
Message 3 of 10
elixerin
Established Contributor

Welcome to myFICO, no question is a dumb question..Smiley Wink

to answer your question it probably won’t affect it much becuase the balance will still be reported, just on another card + any transfer fees you incurred.

you MAY be able to get a month or two of leighway depending on how long the new card takes to officially show up on your reports, best wishes
Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If could change your utilization and if you cross a certain threshold, then your score could drop. If your discover card is closed then the limit is not factoring in just the balance, so if you transfer to another account it will show utlization to the card you transferred to. 

But if you can save money with the balance and pay if off to save interest , then that's a good thing your scores will bounce back, I think saving money should be the first priority, scores go up and down.

Just not sure why you closed an account with a balance though?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a card I had in college and the creditor closed it.

Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

What is the current balance and what reason did they provide for closing it?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't a balance on a closed card show max utilization anyways? So transfering it likely wouldn't see that big of change.

Message 8 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Balances on closed cards are a little tricky on how they impact you, so let me clear it up.

If there is a balance on the card and the credit limit shows the original credit limit, it counts for utilization the same as an open card until the balance reaches $0.  No better, no worse.  This is by far the most common way balances on closed cards are handled. 

If the limit is reported the same as the balance, that's very bad because the card will still factor in like an open card at 100% utilization until it is completely paid off.  Rare, but this "balance chasing" scenario does happen and is the worst case.

If the credit limit is reported as $0, any balance remaining on the card will be excluded from utilization scoring.  This would be a best-case scenario unless the amount of available credit between the balance owed and the previous credit line would have lowered your overall utilization across all cards.

--

Transferring the balance from your Discover card will likely save you a lot of money.  Right now, it is being treated like an open card for scoring purposes (Discover treats them the common way, reporting your balance and previous credit line).  Once paid to 0, it will no longer factor in so your total credit lines will be reduced.  There may be a small scoring penalty due to elevated utilization on the BT card and overall, but any points lost (if at all) will be gained back as you pay the balance down.

Edit:  I should also clarify that this discussion is about FICO scoring.  For VantageScores, it'll be different.  Having a $5 balance on a closed account would probably do something insane like cause you to drop from a 800 credit score to a 650.  Fortunately, they're rarely used for lending purposes.

Message 9 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I have a closed account with Discover. I wanted to transfer that balance to another card for the 0% interest for 9 months offer. I know this question is stupid but I wanted to know any answer. Would it affect my credit if I transfer my debt from one closed account to a current open account? Thank you for any answes.  

Hi and welcome

Do the BT NOW!!! 😉

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.