Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer card with highest initial credit line

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfer card with highest initial credit line

Ive widdle my credit debt down to 2 cards and 12K.  Looking to move as much of that as possible onto a BT credit card.  Wondering if there is any guidance on which card would be more likely to start me out with a high balance.

I'm looking at 770+ Fico8 scores right now.  

-7 rotating cards, 5 0 balance, 2 with 50-70% util. with 70K of credit and 50K+ available.  aggregiate is like 18%

-just closed on a mortgage last thursday (yay)

will not need to worry about any other financing or anything of that nature for several years.  looking to pay down those 2 cards and 0 interest is the likeliest way right now

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Balance Transfer card with highest initial credit line

First off, congrats on the mortgage closing.  Generally, BT cards with the limits you are looking for will be more likely from credit unions who may also be less sensitive to multiple cards with very high utilization.  Are you eligible for NFCU membership?  While not a guarantee, their starting lines are often fairly high.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically i do qualify fot NCFU as my grandfather was in the marines, but i have no relationship with him and was not able to provide verification.

What do you think id be looking at for a range for a startling line for something like citi double cash?

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Given the utilization on those 2 CCs, I don't think Citi Double Cash will be your best friend - at least not the SL you might expect.  I could be wrong, but we're in a different lending environment these days.   I would concur that CUs may be your best bet as mentioned by @K-in-Boston .

Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Have you tried calling NFCU?  Usually they can verify a family member's eligibility during the membership process.

Citi starting lines are all over the board, but usually not anywhere in the neighborhood of what you're looking for.  They can and will grow, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on getting a very large SL out of the gate to complete a large BT.  When I got Premier, I think I was around 790s with decades of perfect payment history and got a starting line equal to about 1% of my income.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

NCFU wasnt much help on the phone so I went ahead and applied for the citi double cash

Approved!  

$10,300 starting limit

16.99 APR

pretty happy with that.  wont allow me to consolidate all my debt but i can get 10k of the 12k on zero interest for 18 months which will be good

Message 6 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval.  I'm going to lock this thread but please feel free to start a new thread in Credit Card Approvals.  I would note that I'd strongly suggest reconsidering completely maxing out a new card with a BT promo, however, particularly from a lender such as Citi.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.