Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer from Citibank To Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Transfer from Citibank To Chase

I recently applied for chase freedom and took advantage of the balance transfer option. My application was submitted and approved on Jan 12th and I got my card a week later. I now see the transfer has posted to my chase account and balance, how long does it normally take for it to reflect my Citibank card, where the funds are going to? This is my first balance transfer.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Balance Transfer from Citibank To Chase

@AriaIzadi wrote:
I recently applied for chase freedom and took advantage of the balance transfer option. My application was submitted and approved on Jan 12th and I got my card a week later. I now see the transfer has posted to my chase account and balance, how long does it normally take for it to reflect my Citibank card, where the funds are going to? This is my first balance transfer.

In my experience, a BT from one 'large' issuer to another usually only takes a few days. 

If the information you entered on Chase's site was a match to their pre-established transfer info they will likely send the funds electronically, otherwise they'll mail a check, which of course does take a little longer.  Don't worry... in either case the funds will still get to the destination.  Smiley Wink

Give it a few days and see if it shows up on your Citi card... if it doesn't you can reach out to Chase and they should be able to help you track it down.

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@AriaIzadi wrote:

In my experience, a BT from one 'large' issuer to another usually only takes a few days. 

If the information you entered on Chase's site was a match to their pre-established transfer info they will likely send the funds electronically, otherwise they'll mail a check, which of course does take a little longer.  Don't worry... in either case the funds will still get to the destination.  Smiley Wink

Give it a few days and see if it shows up on your Citi card... if it doesn't you can reach out to Chase and they should be able to help you track it down.

Yes, a few days, but I would not bother trying to contact Citi until mid-February if it did not show up.

In the mean time (and this applies to ALL balance transfers) one should make the minimum payment to the old card, just to ensure that it stays in good standing, on the off chance that it does take until mid-February for the BT payment to reach Citi.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
gardini51
Valued Member

@AriaIzadi wrote:

I did a balance transfer last month from Citi to Chase. Looking back at my accounts it posted on my Chase card on the 28th and then as paid on my Citi account on the 29th. So it happened pretty quick for me.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got 2 new cards - I transfered funds from my Chase to Amex (took Amex bout 3 days to post and one day for the funds to make it to Chase),  However, moving my Discover balance to Chase is still pending.  I did this one first and it took Chase 7 days to post the transaction (from 1/15 to 1/23) and I am still waiitng for the check/electronic pymt to make it to Discover.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses, BT posted to my new Chase account on the 22nd, I'll wait till the end of the week hopefully by then it will reflect my Citi account. Paranoid I submitted the wrong account number I called Chase and confined my Citi account and they mentioned 5-7 days is normal from the day posted.
Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

I usually triple-check the account number when entering a proposed BT transaction Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: this afternoon the BT is now pending on my Citi account as a payment. As a reference a timeline for the process 1/12 instant approval 1/20 chase freedom card received 1/22 BT posted 1/24 "payment pending"
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.