Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfer from Closed Credit Card

tag
nocode

Balance Transfer from Closed Credit Card

Hi,

I have a closed Amex that is being paid off by a debt management program.  The rate on the card is low because of the program, but the monthly fee i have to pay ($65) is not making this a viable option anymore as I've paid off a couple cards.  

I was thinking of opening a Chase Slate account to do a balance transfer and pay off the card myself.  Unfortunately, the bank says I cannot balance transfer from the closed account and Chase Slate does not offer any checks.  

Does anyone know of a bank that offers a 0% intro rate that will also provide me a check to pay the debt program to pay off the Amex?  I'm much better with my money and want to pay this off quicker.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Balance Transfer from Closed Credit Card

I may be mistaken, however, obtaining a CC in a DMP may result in being kicked out of the DMP.  I would verify you can obtain new credit while in the DMP.  Likewise, I have heard that you will have a hard time (if any chance) in obtaining credit while TLs on your CR are showing being part of a DMP.  YMMV of course.

Message 2 of 3
nocode

Re: Balance Transfer from Closed Credit Card

Yeah - I am aware of that.  I was able to get a Discover It card and haven't had any issues with the DMP.  I do know that I don't have a lot of options in obtaining CR in a new card, but Discover gave me $5k.  The Chase Slate is a very similar card so I'm thinking of taking the risk of applying as I want to limit which card I apply for.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.