Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Transfers and Authorized Users

tag
CaroleBaskinBB
Established Member

Balance Transfers and Authorized Users

My husband is the primary cc holder and it has a $11k balance with a $20k CL. I am an authorized user but do not charge to that acct.

His credit score is 700 and mine is 744.  I want one of us to open up a 0% interest cc for a balance transfer. If I am the primary acct holder for this new cc and make him an authorized user of it, can he then transfer the balance of his cc to this new cc?  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance Transfers and Authorized Users

@CaroleBaskinBB wrote:

My husband is the primary cc holder and it has a $11k balance with a $20k CL. I am an authorized user but do not charge to that acct.

His credit score is 700 and mine is 744.  I want one of us to open up a 0% interest cc for a balance transfer. If I am the primary acct holder for this new cc and make him an authorized user of it, can he then transfer the balance of his cc to this new cc?  

As long as the new account is not with the same bank there shouldn't be any problem.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 13
CaroleBaskinBB
Established Member

Thanks. For getting the highest CL on the new balance transfer credit card, would he have a better chance with a 700 credit score and a thicker credit file, or would I with a 744 credit score but a thinner file?  We are considering the Wells Fargo plat card that has 0% interest for first 18 months. I have Wells Fargo accounts but my husband does not.

Message 3 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

He doesn't have to be on the CC at all. You can transfer a stranger's balance if you authorize it.

Wells Fargo isn't known for handing out massive SLs.

I'd focus on lenders that may give you the option of requesting your own SL.

If not, chances are, you'll need several CC's to spread that balance over, if you would like to keep the utilization down.

Message 4 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You should list more info on both  credit profiles like aaoa, hps, scores ( 3 ficos) any baddies. Then we can better recommend lenders. Its goingbto be hard getting a card with a limit sufficient to park 11k. Do you have any Military affiliation?

@Gmood1 , sorry buddy, im curious on what lenders  might one be able to request their own limit? Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CaroleBaskinBB wrote:

Thanks. For getting the highest CL on the new balance transfer credit card, would he have a better chance with a 700 credit score and a thicker credit file, or would I with a 744 credit score but a thinner file?  We are considering the Wells Fargo plat card that has 0% interest for first 18 months. I have Wells Fargo accounts but my husband does not.

Hi and welcome

Honestly, you're not providing us enough DPs. Are these FICO scores?  $11K on a $20K card is more than $48.9% so I doubt he'll get a decent SL.

Can you provide us with both your and his DPs

*individual UT on other CCs

*aggregate UT across all card

*number of new accounts in the last 3/6/12 mos
*number of inquiries in the last 3/6/12 mos

*how long has DH been carrying a balance on that card?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit 

Off the top of my head.

Andrews FCU

First Tech FCU

AOD FCU

Consumers Credit Union

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

He doesn't have to be on the CC at all. You can transfer a stranger's balance if you authorize it.

Wells Fargo isn't known for handing out massive SLs.

I'd focus on lenders that may give you the option of requesting your own SL.

If not, chances are, you'll need several CC's to spread that balance over, if you would like to keep the utilization down.

^^ This.  Had let my mother do some charging on my cards while helping her rebuild.  As soon as she got her own card that could BT and with a 0% offer, had zero issues BTing from PF to NFCU.

Message 8 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit 

Off the top of my head.

Andrews FCU

First Tech FCU

AOD FCU

Consumers Credit Union

Wow, interesting.  I assume to do that one has to have a really strong profile/ income? I know First Tech is income driven, conservative and prefers not alot of credit. 

Message 9 of 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit 

Off the top of my head.

Andrews FCU

First Tech FCU

AOD FCU

Consumers Credit Union

Wow, interesting.  I assume to do that one has to have a really strong profile/ income? I know First Tech is income driven, conservative and prefers not alot of credit. 

First tech for sure.
They are so picky. Even though I'm a member. I won't touch them.

I think @longtimelurker  is with CCU as well. I only became member because he was.😂 Honestly that is the truth!

I'm member, but haven't tried getting a CC with them.

The others it's a toss up.

AOD, as long as your payment history is good. You have a great chance of being approved. Income doesn't need to be astronomical.

This is in small town Alabama.

The UW decides not a machine.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.