Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer Question?

tag
tin369
Established Member

Balance transfer Question?

Hi

My wife's score is better than mine. I have a chase credit card with $2700 balance but I don't care mouch about the card and its benefits are very less.

My wife has chase Freedom with $1000 CL and Citi American Airline card with $5000 CL.

I was hoping since freedom has good rewards, can I balance transfer from my chase to her freedom or Citi card. and then pay off.

Is this possible? Is this going to hurt any ones score?

Experts please advise.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Balance transfer Question?

Yes you can.

Citi usually has good balance transfer offers. 

However, her score will probably go down until the balance is paid down.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 3
teenastie
Established Contributor

Re: Balance transfer Question?

@tin369 wrote:

Hi

My wife's score is better than mine. I have a chase credit card with $2700 balance but I don't care mouch about the card and its benefits are very less.

My wife has chase Freedom with $1000 CL and Citi American Airline card with $5000 CL.

I was hoping since freedom has good rewards, can I balance transfer from my chase to her freedom or Citi card. and then pay off.

Is this possible? Is this going to hurt any ones score?

Experts please advise.

Utilization is a large part of ones credit score. My main concern is your Wife's credit profile. If she has creditors that tend to be scared of sudden spikes in credit usage and they don't like the fact that her utilization is over 50% she may receive a CLD or even account closure. Look at the CC currently in her portfolio and do a little research to she if she has any of those banks.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.