Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer and transfer back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer and transfer back

One of my very close friends is having financial trouble, and paying high interest in his credit cards. Right now, he does not have any zero apr cards and his credit score is also very low (around 600). So, he is unable to get any zero apr card right now. On the other hand, I have one zero apr card till next September.

My plan is to transfer his balance to my card so that his credit score can improve and he can apply for a new zero apr card. He did not miss any payments so far. Once he gets his new card, I want to transfer it back to his new card. Do you think it's possible or feasible? Does anyone have a similar experience? What alternatives does he have?

I am mainly concerned about technical issues. I trust my friend and am confident enough to do this for him.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balance transfer and transfer back

What is the amount of the balance you are looking to transfer?

You mentioned their score is in the low ~600 range, is that a FICO score and what is the source of the score?

Do you foresee whether they'll be able to get approved for a CC with a decent limit in order to transfer the balance?  With scores that low, it may take a while for scores to recover, let alone for lenders to not feel as hesitant to approve a decent SL for such needs.

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

I think there is a verification question on each balance transfer to the effect of "This is an account with your name on it". In each of the two scenarios that answer would be No, so from that perspective it sounds risky. 

Also, there is a cardinal rule of credit: If you help out a family member or friend with a credit loan, then you basically take on that debt yourself. You must be fully prepared to pay off the funds yourself, as you have no legal recourse to collect from your friend without a high probability of turning the friendship to ashes.  

It is indeed challenging to pay off a debt in a high interest situation. The reality is that your friend took on this obligation as an adult. Your friend is probably best left to pay the amount themselves.  Personal financial decisions and consequences are not fatal, and if the financial obligations become something someone cannot pay back, that is what bankruptcy laws are for.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

What is the amount of the balance you are looking to transfer?

You mentioned their score is in the low ~600 range, is that a FICO score and what is the source of the score?

Do you foresee whether they'll be able to get approved for a CC with a decent limit in order to transfer the balance?  With scores that low, it may take a while for scores to recover, let alone for lenders to not feel as hesitant to approve a decent SL for such needs.

The source is credit karma. I think the sole reason behind his low credit score is high credit utilization. I also had a credit score around 620 due to high utilization once. As soon as I paid it off, the score bounced back in one cycle. I am not sure about the other part though- lenders might not give him enough SL.

Message 4 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I think there is a verification question on each balance transfer to the effect of "This is an account with your name on it". In each of the two scenarios that answer would be No, so from that perspective it sounds risky. 

Also, there is a cardinal rule of credit: If you help out a family member or friend with a credit loan, then you basically take on that debt yourself. You must be fully prepared to pay off the funds yourself, as you have no legal recourse to collect from your friend without a high probability of turning the friendship to ashes.  

It is indeed challenging to pay off a debt in a high interest situation. The reality is that your friend took on this obligation as an adult. Your friend is probably best left to pay the amount themselves.  Personal financial decisions and consequences are not fatal, and if the financial obligations become something someone cannot pay back, that is what bankruptcy laws are for.  

+100

Hi OP and welcome to MyFICO

Even with trusting your friend, this is risky and I ask you to consider all the variables involved:

*Your friend could lose his/her job. 

*There's a very strong possibility that he/she may not qualify for a 0% card. 

*If friend can qualify for a PL with a lower interest rate than CC, let him/her try that route. 

*Tell friend to call that CCC and ask if interest rate can be reduced.  

Lastly, I don't recommend taking on someone else's debt. 

Please reconsider wisely. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 8
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One of my very close friends is having financial trouble, and paying high interest in his credit cards. Right now, he does not have any zero apr cards and his credit score is also very low (around 600). So, he is unable to get any zero apr card right now. On the other hand, I have one zero apr card till next September.

My plan is to transfer his balance to my card so that his credit score can improve and he can apply for a new zero apr card. He did not miss any payments so far. Once he gets his new card, I want to transfer it back to his new card. Do you think it's possible or feasible? Does anyone have a similar experience? What alternatives does he have?

I am mainly concerned about technical issues. I trust my friend and am confident enough to do this for him.

You've already gotten some excellent advice in this thread. I have a little to toss in.

You can get around the fact that the account being paid off is not yours by having the funds put in your checking account first. Then use that to pay off your friend's bill.

BUT DON'T DO IT!!!!!

There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be approved for a card any time soon, especially a really GOOD card. Meanwhile, you've been [potentially] charged a BT fee and will have to make payments on the balance you put on your card.

Personally, I'm very generous with money when it comes to people I trust. However, I have a cardinal rule--for myself: give it freely, happily, and with genuine concern for the person, but do not expect to ever see a penny of it repaid. I always ask myself, "can I TRULY afford to lose this money?" By doing this, I'm happy and grateful when they do pay me back, and I'm not disappointed when they don't. (Out of all the loans/other financial help I've given over the years, all but one paid me back in full. The one who didn't paid back $33,000 of $50,000 then just stopped. Oh well. No expectations going in, no disappointment going out.)

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for warning me. I am reconsidering my plan. I will only transfer the amount that I can pay before my zero apr expires. I am no longer considering transfer back an option.  

Message 7 of 8
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for warning me. I am reconsidering my plan. I will only transfer the amount that I can pay before my zero apr expires. I am no longer considering transfer back an option.  

Thanks for the update. Post again if you need ideas, suggestions, or just general brainstorming! Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.