Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer post date for direct deposit

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Balance transfer post date for direct deposit

Hi all,

I have an offer from American Express to do a balance transfer with ZERO balance transfer fee and ZERO apr. however, with all of the craziness surrounding the holidays it slipped my mind about the “must post by date”.

The checks I wanted to use directly to my bank account say “must post to account by December 30th for promo rate to apply” and here we are at December 27th.

If I do the BT to checking account TODAY will I be okay? Or will it take until after the 30th and slap me with the original fee for BT?? I know it takes a few days for BT to take into an effect but will the post date reflect the actual day I submitted it or when it’s finalized into my checking account with no guarantee cleared date? I hope I made sense I’m using my cell phone. Thanks in advance.
Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Balance transfer post date for direct deposit

If you deposit it today, it should be fine. Checks are cleared through ACH which normally take 1 business day.
Message 2 of 3
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Re: Balance transfer post date for direct deposit

Thanks for the quick reply. However, hypothetically speaking, what if it doesn’t post in time will they hit me with the original fees or they allow me to change my mind if they think it won’t post in time. For instance, say I go to hit submit will they message me with a “This might not post in time and you will be subjected to normal BT rates, do you wish to continue?” Or will they just surprise me with it come December 31st “it didn’t post in time now you owe us a transfer fee and the apr will now be 31.99%”? 😆 just making sure
Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.