Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfers/debt consolidation

tag
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Balance transfers/debt consolidation

Right now we have high UTI on a few smaller cards. I am considering getting one CC and transferring all the balances over. Is this a good idea or not? I am pretty sure I can get a lower interest rate, so I should be saving money ech month.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfers/debt consolidation

@JMMD wrote:

Right now we have high UTI on a few smaller cards. I am considering getting one CC and transferring all the balances over. Is this a good idea or not? I am pretty sure I can get a lower interest rate, so I should be saving money ech month.

It can be a good idea but you're going to have a hard time getting approved for a card with a high enough limit for the BT because of the high utilization on your current cards.  It's always a catch 22 that when you need a BT card you can't get it just for this reason.

Message 2 of 5
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@JMMD wrote:

What Irish said.. I tried to do an app spree so I can consolidate my debt into a single card, and I didn't get approved for a high enough limit.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Get the Util down or take out a loan. Going forward, get in with companies who love to send out BT checks at different times. That way, you won't necessarily need a "BT" card(only one with a great limit from growing) in order to take advantage of said BT offer.
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

What cards do you have now?

Balance/Limit?

Do you have recent scores?

I see you are 3 years post BK this month which is good but will probably keep you out of a lot of the prime BT cards

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.