Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balancing both Cash Back and Travel Rewards

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Balancing both Cash Back and Travel Rewards

Hi everyone! I've been a frequent user of the Chase Ultimate Rewards system to get points and miles. I have been using the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Reserve to all feed into my Ultimate Rewards pool. Recently, however, I've needed to open a new card for BT purposes, and I had it narrowed down to the Chase Slate and Citi Double Cash Card, and I sprung for the latter because despite the BT fee which the Slate didn't have, it offered great cashback options for purchases. Now I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I'd like my general purchases to pool into UR or get the cashback. Obviously, if it's travel/dining or one of the special rotating 5% categories, the CSR and CF offer the best. But when it's an ordinary purchase, I'm having a hard time whether to use the FU for 1.5 points for travel or the DC and get more money back in my account.

I know the obvious answer is to personally weigh for myself what I prioritize more but I was just wondering if anyone else has a dilemma like this and what they've done in the past. Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balancing both Cash Back and Travel Rewards

My understanding is that UR points can be redeemed for airfare (say) at better than their what you'd get for their cash equivalent.  So is the extra value an improvement of > 33%?  In other words, is 1.5 points worth more than 2 when redeemed for airfare?  And do you think you'd be traveling even if you had to pay cash for it?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then UR points is right.  If either is no, then getting 2% cashback is superior.

PS.  Have you crunched the numbers and determined that the CSR is worth the expense in the long term?  If not, the smart move may be to grab all the bonus points, grab the two complimentary $300 travel reimbursements, and then cancel before Day 364.  It's hard for me to imagine that the reserve is worth $450 per year in the long term, even counting the $300 back on a flight.

Actually you don't even have to cancel it -- you can downgrade it to a regukar no-annual-fee Chase Sapphire.

Message 2 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Hi everyone! I've been a frequent user of the Chase Ultimate Rewards system to get points and miles. I have been using the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Reserve to all feed into my Ultimate Rewards pool. Recently, however, I've needed to open a new card for BT purposes, and I had it narrowed down to the Chase Slate and Citi Double Cash Card, and I sprung for the latter because despite the BT fee which the Slate didn't have, it offered great cashback options for purchases. Now I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not I'd like my general purchases to pool into UR or get the cashback. Obviously, if it's travel/dining or one of the special rotating 5% categories, the CSR and CF offer the best. But when it's an ordinary purchase, I'm having a hard time whether to use the FU for 1.5 points for travel or the DC and get more money back in my account.

I know the obvious answer is to personally weigh for myself what I prioritize more but I was just wondering if anyone else has a dilemma like this and what they've done in the past. Thanks!

If you have a lot of travelling to buy, then the FU points moved to CSR are worth 2.25% buying through Chase (and potentially much more if transferred).   So that route provides more value than using the double cash.   If you aren't buying travel then a) you may not need CSR long term! and b) using the double cash will give you a bit more

Message 3 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I think if you do a moderate level or traveling then 1.5 UR points are beter than 2% CB when paired w the CSR.  If spent through the travel portal it is 2.25% automatically.

I'm having a similar debate though.  For my non category spend do I put it on the FU, or on my JCB?  I'm not quite sure if the additional UR points at 1.5/$, when I already have a 300K, and am consistingly earning w the CSR, vs. my JCB @ 3% CB.

Message 4 of 19
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

With a balance transfer in the mix, you're overthinking this. 

If you actively use the Citi card while a BT is active on it, your payments will go towards the lowest-interest debt - the balance transfer. This means all that cashback you're dreaming about earning is going to be eaten up by the interest on your purchases. 

Whatever card you choose, don't use it until the BT is paid off. 

Message 5 of 19
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@DeeBee78 yeah I know I wasn't going to use the Double Cash while the BT was still on it. I was asking for the future!

Message 6 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I think if you do a moderate level or traveling then 1.5 UR points are beter than 2% CB when paired w the CSR.  If spent through the travel portal it is 2.25% automatically.

@I'm having a similar debate though.  For my non category spend do I put it on the FU, or on my JCB?  I'm not quite sure if the additional UR points at 1.5/$, when I already have a 300K, and am consistingly earning w the CSR, vs. my JCB @ 3% CB.

I've recently come down on the side of the FU with the same FU+CSR vs. JCB debate; pretty certain unless I utterly suck at redemptions I can make up the difference and unless I somehow wind up with kids in my life at this point, moderate travelling is going to become a thing even without the current gig (where I'm looking at 1.5 months straight in Asia).

        
Message 7 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Only assuming that Chase's travel portal gives you the best pricing though. I have heard that to often not be the case. Earning an extra 0.25% is meaningless if you are overpaying for travel.

Message 8 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Only assuming that Chase's travel portal gives you the best pricing though. I have heard that to often not be the case. Earning an extra 0.25% is meaningless if you are overpaying for travel.

I have read that as well, but I have booked on and searched the site extensively.  I'm personally convinced that pricing descripencies from other sites are glitches. When I have seen flights available on other sites, I've been able to call in and the agents found the flights for the exact same cost.  Additionally, they can book Southwest flights which don't show up on any travel portal, but can be booked via phone.

Message 9 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@I'm having a similar debate though.  For my non category spend do I put it on the FU, or on my JCB?  I'm not quite sure if the additional UR points at 1.5/$, when I already have a 300K, and am consistingly earning w the CSR, vs. my JCB @ 3% CB.

I've recently come down on the side of the FU with the same FU+CSR vs. JCB debate; pretty certain unless I utterly suck at redemptions I can make up the difference and unless I somehow wind up with kids in my life at this point, moderate travelling is going to become a thing even without the current gig (where I'm looking at 1.5 months straight in Asia).

Thanks Revelate, good to know someone has gone through the internal debate.  Do you think it is possible to over invest in a program?  The CSR aligns very well with my spend (reimbursable business travel and entertainment), so I'll be piling up the UR points.  All my personal travel for 2017 is already booked, so I'll just be stock piling.  I'm always leery of devaluations.  

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.