Balancing both Cash Back and Travel Rewards

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Balancing both Cash Back and Travel Rewards

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I think if you do a moderate level or traveling then 1.5 UR points are beter than 2% CB when paired w the CSR.  If spent through the travel portal it is 2.25% automatically.

Only assuming that Chase's travel portal gives you the best pricing though. I have heard that to often not be the case. Earning an extra 0.25% is meaningless if you are overpaying for travel.

I have read that as well, but I have booked on and searched the site extensively.  I'm personally convinced that pricing descripencies from other sites are glitches. When I have seen flights available on other sites, I've been able to call in and the agents found the flights for the exact same cost.  Additionally, they can book Southwest flights which don't show up on any travel portal, but can be booked via phone.

In that case, the opportunity cost and time spent calling in has to be considered. Some travel booking sites like Obritz not only will match prices elsewhere but give you an extra $50 if prices turn out lower elsewhere - so each time those "glitches" happen, using Chase may actually be losing you $50 that has to now enter the calculation.

I agree it's an advantage being able to book Southwest using UR points at the same rate as others on the portal though. 

Message 11 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I think if you do a moderate level or traveling then 1.5 UR points are beter than 2% CB when paired w the CSR.  If spent through the travel portal it is 2.25% automatically.

Only assuming that Chase's travel portal gives you the best pricing though. I have heard that to often not be the case. Earning an extra 0.25% is meaningless if you are overpaying for travel.

I have read that as well, but I have booked on and searched the site extensively.  I'm personally convinced that pricing descripencies from other sites are glitches. When I have seen flights available on other sites, I've been able to call in and the agents found the flights for the exact same cost.  Additionally, they can book Southwest flights which don't show up on any travel portal, but can be booked via phone.

In that case, the opportunity cost and time spent calling in has to be considered. Some travel booking sites like Obritz not only will match prices elsewhere but give you an extra $50 if prices turn out lower elsewhere - so each time those "glitches" happen, using Chase may actually be losing you $50 that has to now enter the calculation.

I agree it's an advantage being able to book Southwest using UR points at the same rate as others on the portal though. 

Completely agree about opportunity costs.  But award travel redemption in general takes a significant amount of work, and has an opportunity cost already built in IMO.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far for me the easiest way to balance this is by giving points a cent value, then looking at cash back options.

In general I don't want cash back unless it will give more value than I could get in points on that purchase, so in effect I use CB cards only for at least 5%
Message 13 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So far for me the easiest way to balance this is by giving points a cent value, then looking at cash back options.

In general I don't want cash back unless it will give more value than I could get in points on that purchase, so in effect I use CB cards only for at least 5%

Then why is the Double Cash in your sig line?

Message 14 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because not all cards in a sig are used?   Because the strategy changed after getting the card?  

Message 15 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

But determining the cash value of points is exactly the challenge.  It is easy for fixed redemption rations like using the UR portal with a CSP or CSR.  But transferring to travel partners can vary widely.  Even travel programs that have generally high valuation like SW, have limitation like not having business class or many international destinations.  And sometimes low valued points like Marriott can have fantastic redemption's, like I've reserved in Munich for Oktoberfest.  There is also the time and patience it takes to search for good redemption's, the opportunity cost of not earning miles/points that contribute to status when redeeming awards, and finally the selection of less than ideal flights, like the current 9 hr layover I have on an award flight I've booked.  Finally there is a risk of building points and then having a program nerfed.  For instance I will be hung with a lot of points in the UR program if United is removed as a partner.

Message 16 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because not all cards in a sig are used?   Because the strategy changed after getting the card?  

That's certainly possible, as much as I don't get the point of hanging onto a card one doesn't ever plan on using. But there are also other possibilities, like a 0% promo period, specific promos, etc. It's also possible long term non use would get the card closed by Citi. That's why I asked - to hear the specific answer in this case, not for guesses.

Message 17 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's certainly possible, as much as I don't get the point of hanging onto a card one doesn't ever plan on using. But there are also other possibilities, like a 0% promo period, specific promos, etc. It's also possible long term non use would get the card closed by Citi. That's why I asked - to hear the specific answer in this case, not for guesses.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a serious request for knowledge (if I had asked such a thing it would have been an attempt to pointscore, so maybe I am projecting).   But then why not ask the same question about the Cap One Quicksilver and the Marvel card, neither of which ever earn 5%

Message 18 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize it was a serious request for knowledge (if I had asked such a thing it would have been an attempt to pointscore, so maybe I am projecting).   But then why not ask the same question about the Cap One Quicksilver and the Marvel card, neither of which ever earn 5%

I don't have a Marvel card, and I don't know anything about it. The reason I didn't ask about the QS is because it has a publicly available bonus, and for that period/spend amount at least, it earns more than 5%.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.