Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank before credit card question

tag
disney2
Regular Contributor

Bank before credit card question

I'm looking for a bank to get a checking account with before applying for a card with them.  I have NF, WF, Alliant, PenFed, and USAA already and am thinking of getting another one with PNC, BBVA, or a different bank all together.  If you were looking to do this, what bank would you pick?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Bank before credit card question

All depends on your needs. What are you looking for in another checking account that your others dont fulfill?
Message 2 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
All depends on your needs. What are you looking for in another checking account that your others dont fulfill?

I dont think they are interested in checking account per se. More like a set up for card app, which may or may no work. 

Message 3 of 14
rbentley
Established Contributor

All credit unions require you to have a savings account to secure your membership, but few financial instutions require checking also.  In many, the credit and banking departments are seperate and one does not know what they other is doing.  NFCU told me that they do not take banking into any consideration because those accounts flucuate and large deposits can be withdrawn.  It is however beleived that you have better odds getting the WF Propel card if you bank with them.  Some Chase customers get better "in branch" offers, but those two are exceptions.

Your banking accounts get shown on your ChexSystem report, even if in good standing.  Having a large number of accounts may make a new instutuion leary to doing business with you.  You should certainly have a back up account, but I second ALJ, only open new banking accounts if it offers something your existing accounts don't do.

Message 4 of 14
disney2
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  Nothing wrong with my current banks.  I applied with WF for a card and they said I needed to do more banking with them and I have an account with them.  Go figure.  I was unsure if opening an account with the others would help with getting in with them though.

Message 5 of 14
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

That's a lot of banks doesn't that get exhausting?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disney2 wrote:

I was unsure if opening an account with the others would help with getting in with them though.

It arguable and has been argued both ways on this forum many times.  My opinion is that in your case it wouldn't matter, as any banking relationship that you'd secure would be brand new.  Most of the time that people reference their banking relationship/history and it [possibly] being a positive influence on the same lender extending them a CC product we're talking someone that has had deposit accounts with that institution for at least a handful of years or longer.

Message 7 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Union bank hasn't been a bad experience. You could open a savings account with them and wait for them to offer the Visa Rewards CC.

They normally give $100 on $1000 spend. But as a member they have been offering $200 plus an additional 25% if you deposit the rewards into an account you hold with them.

I turned that $100 into just over $300 by opening an account. They pay out subs faster than most.
They seem much better than Citi on the banking side in general.
I currently have over 20 bank accounts with different lenders.
Most of them come from thinking along the same lines as you.
The amount of deposits doesn't really matter. It's just having the account is what makes the difference IME.

This doesn't work for every bank or CU. But it does work for some of them.😉

DCU is another you could grab. If you qualify. They'll give you a VISA on a SP while opening the account. They have a nice APY on the savings account up to $1000.
Message 8 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Most banks do not require a banking relationship to have a credit card. Lol else half of us here in myFico would be cardlessSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

😂😂😂😂😂
Very true my friend! Although if it's a CU. That's the only way you can get a CC with them.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.