Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Adverse Action

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Adverse Action

Added an AU to my account a few months ago and today his card started to decline. Called in and the automated system said the account was closed. Spoked with 3 reps including a supervisor that said account was open but just blocked. Credit services said card was blocked by a special fraud team today. There are no notes on the account and the regular fraud team has no idea why the account was closed. I've had the account for over a year and all payments have been made on time. Had one check returned due to the wrong bank account being chosen online but made good on the check once we realized what happened. Any advice? Do I have a shot at overturning this decision?

16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank of America Adverse Action

How long ago was the returned payment on the account?  

Typically, most AA decisions are upheld depending upon the severity of the AA circumstances.  The only option would be to escalate further and see if there's any other options.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

Typically, most AA decisions are upheld depending upon the severity of the AA circumstances.  The only option would be to escalate further and see if there's any other options.

About a week ago.

Message 3 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

About a week ago.

That might have been the cause that triggered it. Creditors are getting easily spooked these days......................................

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

About a week ago.

^^^^This...

If there's one thing that's always spooked credit card issuers it's getting a payment returned, no matter how honest the mistake.

I've heard of BoA forgiving a one time payment oops for someone who'd had their card for a while and it was a first time thing. It sounds like your account isn't actually cancelled, but frozen, so get a hold of whatever department that issued the freeze and plead your case. Hopefully they'll see it as a simple human error that you've already corrected and give you a pass.

Message 5 of 17
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

My question is how do you get a bounced check? Either the check you sent has no money? I just do bill pay, I know my dad still does the old school way of sending checks but idk I didnt think it still happens.

Message 6 of 17
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

About a week ago.

^^^^This...

If there's one thing that's always spooked credit card issuers it's getting a payment returned, no matter how honest the mistake.

I've heard of BoA forgiving a one time payment oops for someone who'd had their card for a while and it was a first time thing. It sounds like your account isn't actually cancelled, but frozen, so get a hold of whatever department that issued the freeze and plead your case. Hopefully they'll see it as a simple human error that you've already corrected and give you a pass.

Agree

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheBoondocks wrote:

My question is how do you get a bounced check? Either the check you sent has no money? I just do bill pay, I know my dad still does the old school way of sending checks but idk I didnt think it still happens.

You do realize that there are tons of scenarios or honest mistakes where a check will be returned NSF. I live abroad and only send money to my US bank account when it's time to pay bills. The AU on the account made a payment towards the bill not realizing it was my account since we both have Capital One. The payment was for 1k. In this case technically it's not a bounced check per se but an ach that didn't clear. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your advice! B of A did see the human error and actually reopened my account today. The account was indeed closed but I kind of got off on a technicality. The technicalty was the fact that the ach was returned but we made good immediately after realizing it. The first rep I spoke with told me it was higly unlikely that my account will be reopened. She told me to call back after receiving my AA letter. I didn't give up though. I hung up and called back an spoke with a new rep who listened and went to bat for me. Needless to say I'll be sending her white wine from Paris. 

Message 9 of 17
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Glad to see that BofA reopened your CC.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.