Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America CL Increase request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America CL Increase request

Hi Everyone, I decided to create an account after lurking around here for a looooong time.  I couldn't help but post my predicament with BOA.  The card that I have started out as a secured one, graduated to unsecured March this year after calling them a couple of times.  Is it too soon to ask for a credit limit increase.  I only have 300 on it.  I recently got approved for a Discover It card with a CL of $1250, which makes me want to think, what am I doing wrong with BOA?  Should I just completely ditch banking with them?  I've been with them for more than 6years.  I only have one unpaid collection on my account in my credit report for a Fingerhut account which isnt even mine.  I have CreditOne, Merrick Bank, Capital One Quicksilver One and Secured Platinum (both with $500), a Target Red Card, CareOne, and a couple more with Synchrony Bank.  

Would really appreciate a reply from someone who's in the same boat or have had experience with BOA.  Thanks a lot everyone.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America CL Increase request

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone, I decided to create an account after lurking around here for a looooong time.  I couldn't help but post my predicament with BOA.  The card that I have started out as a secured one, graduated to unsecured March this year after calling them a couple of times.  Is it too soon to ask for a credit limit increase.  I only have 300 on it.  I recently got approved for a Discover It card with a CL of $1250, which makes me want to think, what am I doing wrong with BOA?  Should I just completely ditch banking with them?  I've been with them for more than 6years.  I only have one unpaid collection on my account in my credit report for a Fingerhut account which isnt even mine.  I have CreditOne, Merrick Bank, Capital One Quicksilver One and Secured Platinum (both with $500), a Target Red Card, CareOne, and a couple more with Synchrony Bank.  

Would really appreciate a reply from someone who's in the same boat or have had experience with BOA.  Thanks a lot everyone.

I would ditch your CreditOne card if you are looking to cull your herd. Your BoA card will grow but slowly. 

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditOne account is almost as old as the BOA account, which is 25months. Forgot to mention that I also have First Premier. Reason for requesting a higher CL with BOA is I wanted to transfer balance with First Premier, which eventually I wanted to ditch
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whose account is the Fingerhut? Is it on an account where you have AU status? Or is it fraud on your reports?
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont think I was an authorized user on the account. My husband has bad credit, so he applies for credit using my name all the time
Message 5 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont let your DH apply in your name . Otherwise you coyld be in toy limit heck forever or worse. The Boa card that graduated may be bucketed so its growth may be slow. When time is right, maybe try for an unsecured one and use it heavy. That might helpSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ this. His credit is bad, and now he’s ruining yours. In this case you’re best off being the one who applies for credit when appropriate. If necessary, make him an AU on your account and set a spend limit for his card that you can afford to pay off. That’ll limit any damage he can do.
Message 7 of 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Dont think I was an authorized user on the account. My husband has bad credit, so he applies for credit using my name all the time

You got 2 good responses just above mine.  The credit equivalent of throwing crap against the wall and hoping some of it will stick is about as counter-productive an exercise short of having additional late payments that one can do when trying to restablish a credit profile.

It sounds like you may need to think about looking into freezing your reports.  Your husband probably knows enough PI to be able to get them temporarily unthawed even without knowing your assigned PINs (you'll want to keep them from him as well) but the additional steps necessary and the associated delays they create may help curtail his behavior. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 18
brandonm
Valued Member

For what it's worth, Bofa was my first CC, got it with a limit of $800 unsecured, roughly 3.5 years ago. Since then, it's still at $800, though I've gotten some larger approvals from various other lenders. Hitting the CLI button never does anything for me, so i've given up at this point. I don't plan to close it, though, since it is my first card.

Like others above me have said, I wouldn't recommend letting your DH apply for credit in your name.. See the reasons above for why, that's something I don't dare get in to.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much to you all who responded. I was really hoping that BOA would be the most generous when it comes to CLIs since they’re the ones I bank with. The Fingerhut account is just over 3yrs old, only halfway from getting deleted. Would it be a good idea to work something out with LNVN?

FICO scores: Equifax-635, TU-652
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.