cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa to Mastercard conversion?

tag
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa to Mastercard conversion?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Bank of America Cash Rewards card since 2015, and it's expiring in a month. I just ordered a replacement card because for some reason BOA didn't automatically send me a new card, and found out that in early 2018 BOA converted the CR card from Visa to Mastercard. My current card is Visa, but does anyone know if the replacement card issued will be Mastercard?

Bank of America has until the end of the month that the card expires on to have the replacement card arrive. They generally only send it so it arrives at the last two weeks so you were being premature. Bank of America is unique of the various banks due to being the founding bank of Visa. As a result today due to their also large size they can put cards on either the AmEx, Mastercard, or Visa Networks. There are verisions of every type of card for Mastercard and Visa. Only one is issued as an AmEx and is exclusively on that network. Bank of America is happy to give you a card of your choice in Mastercard or Visa and there have been applications for both for years. When I first got my Cash Rewards card it was a Mastercard. After the first or second renewal they made it a Visa. I asked nicely and then later they switched it from a regular Visa to a Visa Signature. If you explicitly asked for a Mastercard they will do a product change and get you a Mastercard. Otherwise it is generally the same network as your existing card, Visa. When they did the MC to V conversion they had to send a letter to me in the mail ahead of time.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Bank of America Cash Rewards card since 2015, and it's expiring in a month. I just ordered a replacement card because for some reason BOA didn't automatically send me a new card, and found out that in early 2018 BOA converted the CR card from Visa to Mastercard. My current card is Visa, but does anyone know if the replacement card issued will be Mastercard?

I've had mine forever, and mine's still issued as Visa Signature even now.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably not very helpful to you but posting here as an FYI. If you apply in branch for this card they let you choose whether you want it as MC or Visa. Your replacement card will very likely remain a Visa card since it's already on that network.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.