Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

I had two credit card accounts with BoA. One I've had about 3-4 years and the other about 2 years. On 4/4 I added 3 authorized users to one of my credit cards. On 4/7 I recieved a called from BoA fraud department asking me to verify that I had added the users. I gave them every piece of information that they asked for and the representative said that he would clear my account, and I could go back to using the account as normal.

On 4/22 I recieved two letters in the mail both stating that BoA had decided to close both of my credit card accounts due to:

"irregular authorized user  activity on one or more of your accounts"

I immediately called and was told by 4 different reps (including a supervisor) that they had closed my accounts on 4/15. I was told that there is nothing that can be done, even though their given reason for closing one of my accounts was inaccurate( I had not added a single authorized user to this card). The representatives simple stated "we can close accounts when we like and list any reason we choose even if it is not valid". I even informed them that these were family members and that I had their ID and SSC documents that I could send in if need be so they would see that these are accurate authorized users, they declined.I informed the representative, that this mistreatment sounds ilegal and compliant with the FRCA laws. The representative told me that I had a great history with them (no late payments, low balances, etc.) & that I was welcomed to apply for another card but the cards closed would remain that way.

But why would I if this is how they treat customers after they have been great customers to them???

Has anyone else experienced this? If so was there anything that you were able to do or any agency that I can report this to? Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

73 REPLIES 73
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America closes bank account after adding authorized users

Activities like adding an AU often trigger an account review and it just so happens they decided to close your account. While that is the reason they gave, it doesn't mean it's the only reason. It just happens that adding an AU triggered a review of your accounts and BoA saw something they did not like.

Unfortunately, there tends to be not much you can do. Creditors are indeed free to close accounts at any time for any (or no) reason. I'm not aware of BoA honoring requests to have these decisions reconsidered.

Message 2 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America closes bank account after adding authorized users

Thank you!

Message 3 of 74
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

@Anonymous wrote:

"irregular authorized user  activity on one or more of your accounts"

So did you see or ask what the "irregular" activity by one of your AU's was?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

Its unfortunate that BofA closed your accounts but I'm curious as to the reason why you'd add four AUs to an account.

Message 5 of 74
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Its unfortunate that BofA closed your accounts but I'm curious as to the reason why you'd add four AUs to an account.

Are we sure it was 4 AU added? I see a lot of 4's in the original post, but none aligned with an AU count.

Having said that, adding multiple AU in one go seems to me a bit risky. I don't have any AU, and before I did so with any bank, I'd add one individual to see how it is done, how it goes.

Thanks for the info OP, sorry this happened to you.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for your closures. 

Message 7 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are we sure it was 4 AU added? I see a lot of 4's in the original post, but none aligned with an AU count.

Having said that, adding multiple AU in one go seems to me a bit risky. I don't have any AU, and before I did so with any bank, I'd add one individual to see how it is done, how it goes.

Thanks for the info OP, sorry this happened to you.

My bad; I misread the original post and thought it said 4 AUs.  But I'm still wondering how many is "some" and the reason they were added, especially if the AUs are adults.  Banks are in business to make money and they don't just close accounts randomly so its possible there's more to what was originally stated.

Message 8 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,

All they would say is that is all they can tell me. One rep did ask why I added people. I told her because it is allowed by BoA and if they did not want the customers adding auth users they should take the feature off the website. 

Message 9 of 74
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes,

All they would say is that is all they can tell me. One rep did ask why I added people. I told her because it is allowed by BoA and if they did not want the customers adding auth users they should take the feature off the website. 

IMO it's a little pointless to argue.    They aren't necessarily against authorized users in general (it usually adds spend which they want).   If the reason is real, they didn't want YOU adding THOSE users NOW, which of course you had know way of knowing....

Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.