cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

@seattletravels wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

US Bank closed my Cash+ Card because of adding & removing multiple authorized users.  I told them the reason I did that was because I received an email that I would get $20 cashback if I did and then 3 months later I received an offer in the mail that if I added a person I would get another $20 cashback.  

I called 3 times and had no luck in getting it reinstated, I hadn't even had the card for a year yet.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lender who wouldn't have done the same. 

You just basically listed one of the  reasons why AUs are subject to scrutiny at times. 

I think @Anonymous is referring to getting an email offer from US Bank. I get offers from just about every card issuer I have about adding AU. 

Nope.

They got an offer to add AU for $20.00, and they added them.

Later, marketing sent same email, they removed AUs, then attempted to add them again for additional $20.00

Hope that helps 

Message 71 of 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America closed my credit card accounts after adding authorized users

I didn't game anyone.  I added an authorized user after I got the email offer from US Bank in November that I would get $20.  I received the $20 cashback and around a month later removed the person.  Then in March I received an offer in the mail that I would get $20 in cashback if I added an authorized user, I added a different person and around a week later I got a letter in the mail that my card was closed due to adding & removing authorized users.  I even have a perfect credit record.

Message 72 of 74
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't game anyone.  I added an authorized user after I got the email offer from US Bank in November that I would get $20.  I received the $20 cashback and around a month later removed the person.  Then in March I received an offer in the mail that I would get $20 in cashback if I added an authorized user, I added a different person and around a week later I got a letter in the mail that my card was closed due to adding & removing authorized users.  I even have a perfect credit record.

Lenders want AUs so their cards see additional use. At times, they will provide the incentive ($20.00 in this case), to add them. You added AU, without the intent of AU using a card.

So, someone ended up with a hit on their CR and nothing to show for it, but that's between you and them. I do hope they understand what they consented to. 

Then, you tried the same process for another $20.00, again with no intent for AU to use the card, while again ending up on different persons CR.

While "gaming" may not have been your intention, that's what happened here. 

Message 73 of 74
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Agreed ^

While that might’ve not been your intention, USB is one of those banks with the least amount patience for stuff like that, MS, or anything they perceive as abuse. They have no problem shutting you down completely — even all other accounts with them that had nothing to do with the issue.
Message 74 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.