Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America has lost it...

tag
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Bank of America has lost it...

Waltzing through the check-out lane at my local grocery store, I pull out my bofa card since I havent used it in awhile figuring ide make them happy this month...  Nice lady swipes and... "oops, it didnt work that time, let me reswipe" says the kind girl.  So she does, no avail as she whispers "Its not going through" so the other patrons dont hear...

I get home and log on to bank of America website, expecting to see my ~25k limit GONE, but no - I see:

Available credit: $24,329.xx

So I call BofA and after waiting 15 or so min, I get a rep who says my account has been stolen and they closed the card and re-issued it.  I said, well, I didnt report it stolen, did you find charges on the account that you deemed not mine?   "No" she answered.   After about 5 min of me going back and forth with her, she got her supervisor on the phone who told me it was reported lost by the Credit Reporting Agency - To which I responded "Incorrect sir, the CRA's do not report stolen cards..."

Anyway, I never received an answer on this as to why it was shutdown and my card was reissued, however, in my 20 min discourse, here are some of the reasons I received from the CSR and her manager:

1) I reported it stolen - Wrong

2) There were transactions that I made out of my normal spending habits - Wrong - havent used the card in over a month

3) The CRA reported it stolen - haha, ok, admittedly, that one made me laugh

4) It was a computer glitch - most likely

5) My AU reported it stolen  - my AU was removed

I checked my credit report and at least in Transunion it shows my old account closed with 0 balance and my new account with my current balance.  Just thought Id share another fun encounter with a bank

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Bank of America has lost it...

You know, there are times that I just want to move into an abandoned fire tower in the Smokies and hunker down with my cat. Smiley Tongue

Kudos to you for pushing this all the way through their system. Even if you discount their supposedly-malevolent intentions, they never ever did integrate the systems from all the banks that they bought/ took over, and their CS is just all over the map. I've been blessed with great CS, but I've read enough here to know that that's pretty rare.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 18
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about this experience you just had!Smiley Sad

It just goes to show why so many members can no longer believe any reason a bank CC issuer gives for anything.

ETA: I must compliment you on your subject line, it is very understated. I am not sure I would have had the same restraint.Smiley Happy

Message Edited by plasticman on 09-14-2009 05:36 PM
Message 3 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Doesn't surprise me. When I called to find out why my plain vanilla Visa reported mid cycle the credit analyst told me the CRA must have pulled my balance from BofA. I mean once a credit analyst tells you the CRA pulls the balance from BofA and BofA doesn't report to the CRA there ain't much left to say is there? LOL.
Message 4 of 18
voidman
Established Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
Doesn't surprise me. When I called to find out why my plain vanilla Visa reported mid cycle the credit analyst told me the CRA must have pulled my balance from BofA. I mean once a credit analyst tells you the CRA pulls the balance from BofA and BofA doesn't report to the CRA there ain't much left to say is there? LOL.
why did you ask that question? Reporting to CRA is normal, rite? one time or 2 times or anytime. 
-void
Message 5 of 18
smallfry
Senior Contributor

My card reported mid cycle. With a balance. I game the FICO scoring system. I had too many cards report a balance. What reports is up to me. Wasn't hard closing them.
Message 6 of 18
voidman
Established Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
  I game the FICO scoring system.

yes, that is very important. I was successful in doing that, while my friend wanst so lucky, he always let his high balance report every month and PIF, his score had been low all the tiiime. 

-void
Message 7 of 18
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

25 point jump in 14 days just playing it right...amazing this stuff is.
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 8 of 18
voidman
Established Contributor

@Karatz wrote:
25 point jump in 14 days just playing it right...amazing this stuf
 Thats good. 

I have a theory, if a person lets his util see-saw from <10% to 25% will he have maximum fico rise? I heard that Fico formula loves balance going down, but do they hate equally on balances going up?
-void
Message 9 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

Always call the the 800 number or check online when attempting to use a card you had dormant.   Save yourself the embarrassment.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.