Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America secured card

tag
lenz99
New Contributor

Re: Bank of America secured card

Pay in full after the statement cuts, you can also pay the balance before statement cut date to minimize the util%, but if you're not about to apply any additional credit, util% doesn't matter that much, just make sure to pay on time and don't miss any payment.

And no, you're not necessarily to carry any balance to show usage, PIF if possible.

Message 11 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Can you add to your deposit to increase limit once started or is your initial deposit what you'll have until it unsecures?
Message 12 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Well, I called the applications status number and I got the approval message, the online status still hasn't changed. Thanks for the replies and words of advice. Now I'll need to garden this card and my credit into bigger and better things, but with the help of the forum community, it shouldn't be too hard. Thanks Again to all
Message 13 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you app for the normal BoA card and are declined, will they use the same INQ when you ask for a secured card?

Message 14 of 46
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you app for the normal BoA card and are declined, will they use the same INQ when you ask for a secured card?

NO. They pulled twice in my case. I had initially applied for unsecured and got a counter offer for fully secured and then when I accepted it I was told they will pull again and the did.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 15 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Not sure. I went ahead and applied directly for the secured. I think I've read before on here that it used to be counter-offered, but I can't be sure that is exactly the case.
Message 16 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Well there you have it. I knew someone would know.
Message 17 of 46
vish1
Valued Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

I would think this as a approval.

Treat it well and keep paying online as soon as you can after transactions post. This suggestion doesn't have any grounds, but I used to do this and they treated me really well.

Another suggestion I have is don't block too much money to get a high CL unless you need high CL (your deposit has no impact on what kind of unsecure CL you will get when you get this unsecured). Again this is my thought YMMV.

Initial CL matters and you're the only one I've seen with such a big CLI upon "graduation". Most ppl receive the standard $500 CLI for unsecuring so a big initial deposit definitely helps.

I agree with your point. I agree that I am probably one of the very few who got such a great CLI from them on unsecuring and also got the AF removed from my account.

but I will like to present another perspective (or probably just my thought)

I feel if a person is gonna get something like 500 CLI at unsecure, chances are, he/she will not be able to get the AF waived off. If you look forward, you will appreciate that after 1 year of secured card with AF, OP may not want BofA with AF (OP will most probably be good for other non AF cards by then). This was my thought behind keeping my deposit at 500. Offcourse, this is again my opinion and may not work for others.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 18 of 46
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Good points by both sides. My goal is to be on track for better cards with no AFs, that is why I'll treat this card well and set myself up for better cards down the line.

That said, this is my first thread started. Where do the regulars suggest placing a thread with whats on a credit report and how to go from there? I'm taking it's in the Rebuilding Credit sub forum?
Message 19 of 46
vish1
Valued Contributor

If this is your first (and only) card, I will suggest adding a store card about 3 months from now. There are 2 advantages:

1. You need atleast 2 revolving lines to be able to get good prime cards (1 is too little)

2. Store cards like GEMB ones grow to about 1500CL pretty fast in 7-8 months (a bit before the time when your BofA hits 1 year) and it helps your Util without having to put too much deposit for a high CL.

As always, YMMV

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.