Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America vs Citibank Secured Card

tag
kflo01
Contributor

Bank of America vs Citibank Secured Card

Between these two. Which would be better to open a secured credit card account with? I am looking at which would be better to build a relationship with as far as speed of turning the card to unsecured, opening me up to there other unsecured prime cards, opening me up to their other products such as home loans, etc etc.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America vs Citibank Secured Card

BofA for sure, Citi takes a long time based on what other people have discussed.

Message 2 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The BoA Customized Cash Rewards secured card also earns cashback just like the unsecured version of the card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 23
sjt
Senior Contributor

My vote goes to the B of A Cash Rewards Secured Visa.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 23
Bkist21
Valued Member

Bank of America Cash Rewards secured... You get the cashback unlike with Citi.  I have the unsecured version and it's a keeper for me.

Message 5 of 23
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Bank of America gets my vote, much better to deal with BOf A over Citi bank.

Message 6 of 23
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and vouch for Citi. I will admit that the cash back aspect of BofA is a benefit, but for me PERSONALLY, I think Citi is the better bank of the two. 

Of course it just depends on your own needs/wants. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 23
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

BOA......once unsecured CLI are soft pulls. I started out secured with them in 2014 my card is at 35k and I had a car loan with them at 3.49% in 2016, which I paid off last year July. I get frequent 0% offers for BT or direct deposit (with 3% fee). 

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 8 of 23
jnbowmar
New Contributor

my citi secured is still secured after two years, and my new maturity date is 12/24 which is when my charge off will fall off, so I wouldnt open a ctii secured unless your bulding credit from not having any, instead of rebuilding credit with baddies. 

the citi card is kind of useless unless you have a clean report. 

Message 9 of 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here and vouch for Citi. I will admit that the cash back aspect of BofA is a benefit, but for me PERSONALLY, I think Citi is the better bank of the two. 

Of course it just depends on your own needs/wants. Can't really go wrong with either one.

Good luck! 

Took the very words out of my mouth.  Last year after my Chapter 13 discharge I decided to start with a secured card, which I did without much research; yeah, my bad.  I ended up with 8 HPs and 1 secured card which didn't meet my needs and which I closed after less than 7 weeks.  Then I did my research and when looking at the CITI vs. BofA cards, both of which ultimately denied me for a secured card, and decided the Rewards were more important than what I consider to be CITIs better reputation.

In the end I landed a TDBank TDCash card and that couldn't have turned out better.  While the secured TDCash rewards are only 1% (growing to a 3-2-1 tiered structure after graduation), TDBank graduated my card to an unsecured Visa Signature card after exactly 6-months; way sooner than the minimum expected graduation dates for either BofA or CITI.  In the end I'm quite happy I was denied for both of these cards.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.