cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of the West cash back Mastercard thoughts?

tag
fliphusker
Contributor

Bank of the West cash back Mastercard thoughts?

After Sallie Mae gutted their card I am searching for a new one for groceries.  While I was searching another poster mentioned the Bank of the West card so I looked it up and it would be a great fit for me. 

3% cash back on groceries, dining and gas purchases

I do not spend much on groceries, only average around $225/month, and I do have the Chase Freedom with its 5% revolving categories.  But the 3% dining sounds awesome and beats my Citi. 

I just have not seen where they pull from or what the general credit score is needed for it. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of the West cash back Mastercard thoughts?

Looks pretty solid.  Seems to have the exact same rewards structure as the Golden 1 Reward card which is pretty good but limited geographically.  They seem to have a similar service area as well.  No clue on underwriting standards for Bank of the West; Golden 1 is pretty strict.

Message 2 of 21
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Thank you for posting this!  I am definitely in their banking region and this may be the perfect card for me to replace Sallie Mae with.

Message 3 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As has been mentioned in other threads, 3% on categories is not a whole lot more than 2%, unless you spend a lot .   This card doesn't seem to have a bonus, so compare your spend in the categories to see if the extra rewards over a 2% card would exceed another card with a decent sign up bonus, e.g. so to beat a $200 sign up, you need to spend $20K in these categories (wiith gas capped at  $1,500 per quarter)

Message 4 of 21
fliphusker
Contributor

While I understand your logic behind going for a card with a signup bonus, that degrades over time and gets worse and worse.  What I have right now.  Citi Double cash back, Chase Freedom, Discover, Sallie Mae and a hardly used Cap 1.  I take advantage of my Chase for groceries and for dining when their categories hit.  I do not spend enough to go after the great rewards of the BCP.  I am not aware of any other card that gives out 2% for all and a signup bonus of let's say $200.  $4k spending for five years is the break even point between a 2% and $200 signup bonus and 3%, like Bank of the West, which is basically your example.  Is it wrong to look at CC in the long term like that?

Message 5 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fliphusker wrote:

While I understand your logic behind going for a card with a signup bonus, that degrades over time and gets worse and worse.  What I have right now.  Citi Double cash back, Chase Freedom, Discover, Sallie Mae and a hardly used Cap 1.  I take advantage of my Chase for groceries and for dining when their categories hit.  I do not spend enough to go after the great rewards of the BCP.  I am not aware of any other card that gives out 2% for all and a signup bonus of let's say $200.  $4k spending for five years is the break even point between a 2% and $200 signup bonus and 3%, like Bank of the West, which is basically your example.  Is it wrong to look at CC in the long term like that?

It's not wrong particularly, it's just that the cc environment is very dynamic, so long term plans may not make a whole lot of sense: new cards come along, and others get nerfed.   It also depends how willing (and able) you are to acquire new cards.   So you can certainly get the Bank of the West AND a card with a sign up bonus

Re 2% cards with a $200 sign up, that wasn't what I meant.   You already have the DC, which is yorur 2%, so if the choice was getting exactly one more card, then you choose between a small incremental reward on some categories, or a one-time bonus;   

Message 6 of 21
NRB525
Super Contributor

@happypill wrote:

Looks pretty solid.  Seems to have the exact same rewards structure as the Golden 1 Reward card which is pretty good but limited geographically.  They seem to have a similar service area as well.  No clue on underwriting standards for Bank of the West; Golden 1 is pretty strict.

If I recall from others comments, the Golden1 "Restaurants" category leaves out one side, either fast food or restaurants. So the 3% "dining" does not apply everywhere.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 21
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@happypill wrote:

If I recall from others comments, the Golden1 "Restaurants" category leaves out one side, either fast food or restaurants. So the 3% "dining" does not apply everywhere.

You are right. I just researched it. Please see my previous post on it. I did a comparison on some commmon 3X credit cards.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

3% all the time groceries? That's way better than hoarding gift cards in the Chase Freedom quarter. I tend to hand some of those out to the kids or favors so I lose lol.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charts are one thing, and they are correct, but it is not as good as pretending all of your accounts got closed and this new card you are considering is heavy lifting almost all spend category or not. 1.5 to 2% is not significant for me, but a category I didn't take advantage of all along is worth it.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.