cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of the West pre-qual - App or Toss?

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Bank of the West pre-qual - App or Toss?

So I got a pre-qual mailer from Bank of the West w/code last week for the Cash Back World MC. I've been banking with BoWest for the past couple months, but strickly for the new bank account SUB which finally paid on the 18th, I was planning on closing the accounts after the statement 11/6. But then I got an email from them the other day "reminding" me of my pre-approval, to the email address I use for BoWest banking. So I take that as them tying my pre-approval specifically to me as a banking customer, making the pre-approval even more solid. The offer includes 12 months 0% for purchases & BTs (4% BT fee)

Their Cash Back World MC has pretty decent rewards - 3% on dining, gas & grocery, 1% all else. But I already have that or better - Uber 4% dining, BoA Cash Rewards 3% gas, and Walmart store card 5% & Amex BCP 6% grocery. And I don't really need a BT but if I did Disco is really pushing a 12 month 0% BT w/3% fee with repeated mailers.

So,

PROS:

- BoWest tends to give nice SLs for banking customers w/pre-approval codes

- BoWest tends to only SP EX for banking customers w/pre-approval codes

- 12 months 0% is always nice, however I would use it

CONS:

- Reward categories really don't work for me

- I've already opened 4 CCs this year, altho score are adequate: Fico8 EX 710, EQ 714, TU 731 (no inqs on TU, no one pulls it for me)

- Nothing special about BoWest banking, if i got the CC I'd keep it open - it's an "Any Deposit" free checking, any deposit of any amount/any method keeps it fee free, so I'd just ACH funds into checking and pay the CC from there.

- No SUB, and I do like my SUBS Smiley Wink

But, I'm inclined to pass on this. 4 new CCs already this year is pushing it, and it should take something really special to get me to app, this is 'nice', but not 'special'.

Opinions?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of the West pre-qual - App or Toss?

I would just pass since you're already in the mindset of doing so.

Uber made some changes though.... https://onemileatatime.com/uber-credit-card-changes/

Message 2 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would just pass since you're already in the mindset of doing so.

Uber made some changes though.... https://onemileatatime.com/uber-credit-card-changes/

Yep, thanks, I just saw that on Uber, I have one . . .

Still undecided on BoWest . . . hard to say no sometimes . . .

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's harder to say BYE than it is to say Hello to a new CC.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

now that uber is dead this bank of the west card is going to start looking a lot more attractive.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.