cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Travel Rewards Card (issued by BofA)

tag
Schadenfreude
Established Member

BankAmericard Travel Rewards Card (issued by BofA)

Anyone know if this card is worth getting at all? I pulled my credit scores and I've got a 690 from TU, 710 from EX, and 705 from EQ. It looks interesting where you get 1.5 points for every dollar spent; but I'm not sure how the redemption rate is, or if it's worth getting. They also give you 10,000 points if you spend $500 within 90 days.  

I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BankAmericard Travel Rewards Card (issued by BofA)

@Schadenfreude wrote:

Anyone know if this card is worth getting at all? I pulled my credit scores and I've got a 690 from TU, 710 from EX, and 705 from EQ. It looks interesting where you get 1.5 points for every dollar spent; but I'm not sure how the redemption rate is, or if it's worth getting. They also give you 10,000 points if you spend $500 within 90 days.  

It's big brother the Preferred card has gotten good reviews on these forums so far, the lower one I suppose it depends if it fits your needs; AFAIK the redemption is the same between it and the AF-version, just at a different rewards earning rate and I think a FTF on the one you're looking at.

        
Message 2 of 11
Schadenfreude
Established Member

@Revelate wrote:

@Schadenfreude wrote:

It's big brother the Preferred card has gotten good reviews on these forums so far, the lower one I suppose it depends if it fits your needs; AFAIK the redemption is the same between it and the AF-version, just at a different rewards earning rate and I think a FTF on the one you're looking at.

Pardon me for asking, but what does FTF mean? 

Message 3 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Ooops, my apologies for the shorthand.  FTF = Foreign Transaction Fee, or forex for short sometimes too.

        
Message 4 of 11
TheConductor
Established Contributor

FTF = foreign transaction fee.  i.e. a markup for doing transactions in currency other than US dollars

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are NO FTF on this card.  I just got it because it was highly recommended on one of the credit card sites.  Also, they will give you the card with 0%APR for 18 months.  I know that we do not qualify for CSP because our banker said they want folks with a longer history with credit cards than we have.  But, we wanted a good travel card and this one seems pretty good!  Also, NO AF.  They gave us a flexible spending limit type signature VISA with a $10,000 limit which we thought was very nice. 

The only trouble we have had with this card can be read about here.

Message 6 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are NO FTF on this card.  I just got it because it was highly recommended on one of the credit card sites.  Also, they will give you the card with 0%APR for 18 months.  I know that we do not qualify for CSP because our banker said they want folks with a longer history with credit cards than we have.  But, we wanted a good travel card and this one seems pretty good!  Also, NO AF.  They gave us a flexible spending limit type signature VISA with a $10,000 limit which we thought was very nice. 

The only trouble we have had with this card can be read about here.

+1. Both BofA travel rewards cards are no ftf

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 7 of 11
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

Good card get it. It can be used as a cash back card because you can redem for cash as well, so it is better then Cap one Cash rewards, + Has a EMV chip and no FTF so it is a go to card when you travel....

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@ukimafija wrote:

Good card get it. It can be used as a cash back card because you can redem for cash as well, so it is better then Cap one Cash rewards, + Has a EMV chip and no FTF so it is a go to card when you travel....

Wait, are you serious? You can redeem for cash too?  I have the one with the EMV chip.  Very nice and simple card that gets the job done.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 9 of 11
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Nevermind the cash redemption is not that great.

Once you have linked an account to your card, you can redeem your points for a cash deposit into your designated account. When you are ready to redeem, enter the number of Points you would like to redeem in the box next to the desired account and click, "Redeem."

Cash redemption start at 2,500 points (2,500 points = $15).

Still though, I use the travel credits on the commuter ferry to Giants games so its all good.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.