Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy

My wife filed for Bankruptcy which now has been dissmissed. 

She had Amex which was cancelled by Amex because of BK.

Amex is saying you can pay half of that amount and it will show up as partial paid balance on your credit.

or

pay in full and we can get you another Amex Optima card, but there is NO gurantee on approval.

can i get some feedback on this plesae! 

should we pay that in full? or Partial?

what are the chances of her getting another Amex even if she paid in full?

many thanks!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy

I never had a card cancelled from Amex due to  BKO but I have read several posts about Optima.  If you can afford it I would try the full payment route.  It also depends was she paying on time prior to the BKO? From my understanding if they brought up the Optima then there must a good chance it will be approved.  Take things slow.  No need to rush.  Search Optima posts here to make up you mind.  The limit will probably start low. Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to CC forum
Message 3 of 5
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

If she included Amex in her BK Amex can't require her to pay back any of what she defaulted on; with that said they don't have to offer her a card /credit either ever if they so choose as it is their money.  She has two options.  Either wait approx 7-20 years and amex might let her back in since she appears to have burnt them or she can pay back the full amount and most likely as it sounds like that are considering reaching out to her with the Optima card if she pays in full and a quicker path back into AMEX.  Most likely since they are reaching out she will get the optima card then after a year or two (just guessing dates here) she can start to get other Amex cards that are more valueable.  Just depends how badly she wants to get back in with Amex.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bankruptcy was dismissed or discharged? If the case was dismissed the bankruptcy stay has been lifted and that amount is very much due (unless she is planning on filed again). 

The Optima program has been discussed at length here, but no recent discussions unfortunately. I'd pay it off no matter what if that bky was not discharged, and a cherry on top would be that she is approved for the Optima. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.