Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay 6-Month Auto CLI Strategy

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Barclay 6-Month Auto CLI Strategy

Hi All,  

I know there are a lot of threads in regard to the auto CLI's that Barclay typically does after the sixth statement cut, however I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with getting the auto CLI when usage is only about 10% of the CL?  Barclay started me out with a CL of $7K, however through the first month I only charged about $600 or so and paid it off, and I suspect that this will be about my normal trend the next few months.   I am just wondering if they typically only increase higher usage accounts or if those that use say less than 10% of the CL get love as well?

Thanks!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
rbon
New Contributor

Re: Barclay 6-Month Auto CLI Strategy

I use mine frequently and last month (coincidentally the 6th month) was the first time it posted with a balance. My CL is only $500, I usually charge about $1000 per month on it and pay it off every few days! (ie charge $250, pay off, charge $300, pay off, etc.). I did not receive an auto CLI on my 6th statement. My 7th just cut 2 days ago and I'm hoping to see an increase soon. Not sure of they show up the day of the statement, a few days later, mid-cycle, etc.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No knowledge of how utilization affects Barclay credit line increases. Wonder if you have a BT offer that might help you boost utilization in the early months? Food for thought. Bump for other posters with insight on Barclay CLIs. New Barclay customer (one month so I am interested too).
Message 3 of 13
fot1
Established Contributor

If you read the big Braclays thread it sounds like they want heavy usage and carrying balances.... They also tend to favor those who use BT's

Too many to list..
Message 4 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

If you read the big Braclays thread it sounds like they want heavy usage and carrying balances.... They also tend to favor those who use BT's

While that may be the case for many, my experience proved that auto-CLI is perfectly possible without carrying balance or using the card heavily. I received my Arrival in May of 2013 and ran a few thousand through it during the year. I wouldn't say it was heavy usage, but it wasn't necessarily light either. It was used every month. I didn't receive an auto-CLI until I went to PC just this past April. The CSR told me that if I agreed, they would up my limit (I think it was a $3k CLI). I didn't even ask, their system just told the CSR it was possible. 

My suggestion is to use the card the way YOU want to, and don't worry about pleasing the company. If you use your credit responsibly, one of your lenders will reward you. I have never paid a cent in interest, and I've received CLIs from all of my lenders, except Chase - but they rewarded me with a $12k CSP instant approval. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 13
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Barclays started me with 10K and my usage was 10-15% with PIF strategy and no I did not get any CLI at 6mo or 1yr mark. But that is just perfect as I am happy and have no need for more Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
fot1
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

While that may be the case for many, my experience proved that auto-CLI is perfectly possible without carrying balance or using the card heavily. I received my Arrival in May of 2013 and ran a few thousand through it during the year. I wouldn't say it was heavy usage, but it wasn't necessarily light either. It was used every month. I didn't receive an auto-CLI until I went to PC just this past April. The CSR told me that if I agreed, they would up my limit (I think it was a $3k CLI). I didn't even ask, their system just told the CSR it was possible. 

My suggestion is to use the card the way YOU want to, and don't worry about pleasing the company. If you use your credit responsibly, one of your lenders will reward you. I have never paid a cent in interest, and I've received CLIs from all of my lenders, except Chase - but they rewarded me with a $12k CSP instant approval. 

Correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't sounds like you recieved an auto CLI at six months then?   I personally agree with what you said about using the card the way you want and letting the companies fall in line, but credit isn't a one size fits all. There can be many reasons why someone would want a CLI on a certain card and that is where  the tipsi, tricks and what have you can help.

Too many to list..
Message 7 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but that doesn't sounds like you recieved an auto CLI at six months then?   I personally agree with what you said about using the card the way you want and letting the companies fall in line, but credit isn't a one size fits all. There can be many reasons why someone would want a CLI on a certain card and that is where  the tipsi, tricks and what have you can help.

You're right - it didn't happen at 6 months. My point is that it can happen without giving away your money. If someone is desperate for more credit every six months, hoping for an auto-CLI probably isn't the right approach anyway...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 13
fot1
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

@fot1 wrote:

You're right - it didn't happen at 6 months. My point is that it can happen without giving away your money. If someone is desperate for more credit every six months, hoping for an auto-CLI probably isn't the right approach anyway...

Not one size fits all though.. While that approach doen't make sense to you, doesn't mean it won't for the next person..Right?

Too many to list..
Message 9 of 13
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

It's quite hard to tell. 

I had the old Arrival last year, now closed, and heavily used it. Probably put through 28k in 6 months. I paid in full, and never carried a balance or did a BT. And they doubled my limit at the 6 month mark. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.