tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay AA Aviator Sliver upgrade available online now

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally received the AAviator Silver card today. I upgraded on 6/6 and it took them this long to process the upgrade and mail the card.  It does like nice though

Damn, that's a long wait. I only upgraded this week (because of you and jsucool76). I'll probably get my card long after I've forgotten about it. I hope I remember to downgrade before the AF is due.

What are you thoughts on Barclay AA (Red or Silver) vs. the Citibank AA? I have both, and I'm gonna cancel one. Is there already a thread on this? I don't want ot hijack.

Red vs AA is very equal.  I think the nod goes to Barclays because they offer more bonus programs like the recent 50% bonus.  The Silver of course gives you the 3X miles for flights so if you're booking a lot of AA flights then this card is worth it over the Red.  I'll make my decision about whether to keep the Silver or go back to the Red as my AF approaches.  As for my two Citi AA cards my plans are to close those out by the end of the year and merge my CLs

Just an update.  I upgraded to Silver as stated above.  There is a time frane in which you need to change your mind.  I believe my time is September 3rd (upgraded July 17).  If you don't downgrade by that date (thinking many in this thread missed the date), there is no downgrade to red in order to avoid the annual 195 fee.  Didn't ask about canceling the card, but they might frown on that.  She stated this should be in the paperwork they sent you (and I guess should have read the full disclosure if upgrading online).

If any reps have repped (not a word Smiley Tongue), would be interested in hearing.  There is no downgrade path for first year.  Just a heads up.

Who reads or listens to disclosures? :-). If I can't downgrade I can live with that.  I'm not sure I was going to anyways.  Those 3X points are nice .

Message 51 of 53
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Finally received the AAviator Silver card today. I upgraded on 6/6 and it took them this long to process the upgrade and mail the card.  It does like nice though

Damn, that's a long wait. I only upgraded this week (because of you and jsucool76). I'll probably get my card long after I've forgotten about it. I hope I remember to downgrade before the AF is due.

What are you thoughts on Barclay AA (Red or Silver) vs. the Citibank AA? I have both, and I'm gonna cancel one. Is there already a thread on this? I don't want ot hijack.

Red vs AA is very equal.  I think the nod goes to Barclays because they offer more bonus programs like the recent 50% bonus.  The Silver of course gives you the 3X miles for flights so if you're booking a lot of AA flights then this card is worth it over the Red.  I'll make my decision about whether to keep the Silver or go back to the Red as my AF approaches.  As for my two Citi AA cards my plans are to close those out by the end of the year and merge my CLs

Just an update.  I upgraded to Silver as stated above.  There is a time frane in which you need to change your mind.  I believe my time is September 3rd (upgraded July 17).  If you don't downgrade by that date (thinking many in this thread missed the date), there is no downgrade to red in order to avoid the annual 195 fee.  Didn't ask about canceling the card, but they might frown on that.  She stated this should be in the paperwork they sent you (and I guess should have read the full disclosure if upgrading online).

If any reps have repped (not a word Smiley Tongue), would be interested in hearing.  There is no downgrade path for first year.  Just a heads up.

Who reads or listens to disclosures? :-). If I can't downgrade I can live with that.  I'm not sure I was going to anyways.  Those 3X points are nice .

I wasn't going to downgrade myself.  Global entry makes it a 95 card.  But jsucool was planning on downgrading, and several questions, so are you guys downgrading when the annual fee comes due?  I mean geez, I got a lot of extra points for compensation (7k so far), plus the original 50k, and even if I don't book a US airways flight (though wondering if Alaska Airlines counts for 3x after October 17th, they are integrating rewards programs with AA), I plan on using that hotel benefit.

Signature needs updating
Message 52 of 53
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't going to downgrade myself.  Global entry makes it a 95 card.  But jsucool was planning on downgrading, and several questions, so are you guys downgrading when the annual fee comes due?  I mean geez, I got a lot of extra points for compensation (7k so far), plus the original 50k, and even if I don't book a US airways flight (though wondering if Alaska Airlines counts for 3x after October 17th, they are integrating rewards programs with AA), I plan on using that hotel benefit.

Global entry does NOT make it a $95 card, as global entry is once every 5 years...lol, so it makes it a $175 card for 5 years. 

I will be downgrading, and if they say no, I'll move the limit to something else and close the card, then open a citi card, or change to a different airline as I'm not super loyal, just got a good bonus. 

Message 53 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.