Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Apple Visa

tag
dcal
Valued Member

Barclay Apple Visa

Ok, I said I was not going to apply for any credit cards until December 2012. But I sucumbed earlier than I planned, I came home from work this morning at 5:30 AM and I was thinking about and reading posts from MyFico community forums all night. Every break I got. I was reading posts. I know I'm a addict. My TU- Fico sits at 716 and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. It came back approved for $2000. I should have said more. My question is I know how sensitive they are to new accounts and inquires. I have no new accounts for over a year. I have only my Capital One platinum card for a year. Should I call in for a little more increase or wait. How many Barclay cards can you have. Do you think my score is good enough for a Barclay Ring. I really want a SPG, Travelocity Amex, or a Zinc. I would love a regular Amex, but the co-branded American express is fine with me. They spend the same way the other do. Do anyone on the forum have any suggestions. Uitlization 1%, 1 INQ TU, 2 EQ, EX 2

INQ's.

TU- Fico - 716

EQ- Fico - 680

EX- 680 (Creditinform)

Starting Score: TU 572,EX-578,EQ-539 1-1-2014
Current Score: TU98-591, EQ-582, EX-595 (1-17-2014)
Goal Score= EQ- 760, TU- 760 EX- 760
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclay Apple Visa

Congrats. I was just denied for this card an hour ago Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jdirilo wrote:

Congrats. I was just denied for this card an hour ago Smiley Sad

recon!!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 14
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I tried. Their office is closed for the day. I am in Utah, and they are on the east coast I guess. Plus, I have tried to recon with Citi, Chase, Discover, Walmart, BofA, all with big fat no's. Nobody likes me because of too little credit since my BK discharge 2 years ago. Well crap, I can't rebuild if nobody is willing to take a chance on me! It is so frustrating. 

Message 4 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@jdirilo wrote:

I tried. Their office is closed for the day. I am in Utah, and they are on the east coast I guess. Plus, I have tried to recon with Citi, Chase, Discover, Walmart, BofA, all with big fat no's. Nobody likes me because of too little credit since my BK discharge 2 years ago. Well crap, I can't rebuild if nobody is willing to take a chance on me! It is so frustrating. 

Have you tried rebuilding with a few secured cards?

Message 5 of 14
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I have a cap1 secured card($201) that I have had a couple months and have used it a lot, and made several payments each month(which is a pain because they take forever to make that balance available on my card) and last month I got a Wells fargo $500 secured card, which just hit my credit, but unfortunately I didn't know about the statement dates and I was at my limit when it reported, but I actually paid it the next day. So my utilization is high right now. I also was just approved for 2 unsecured cards, $500 each from cap1 and nfcu. I guess I am getting greedy Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 14
tray
Valued Contributor

@dcal wrote:

Ok, I said I was not going to apply for any credit cards until December 2012. But I sucumbed earlier than I planned, I came home from work this morning at 5:30 AM and I was thinking about and reading posts from MyFico community forums all night. Every break I got. I was reading posts. I know I'm a addict. My TU- Fico sits at 716 and I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. It came back approved for $2000. I should have said more. My question is I know how sensitive they are to new accounts and inquires. I have no new accounts for over a year. I have only my Capital One platinum card for a year. Should I call in for a little more increase or wait. How many Barclay cards can you have. Do you think my score is good enough for a Barclay Ring. I really want a SPG, Travelocity Amex, or a Zinc. I would love a regular Amex, but the co-branded American express is fine with me. They spend the same way the other do. Do anyone on the forum have any suggestions. Uitlization 1%, 1 INQ TU, 2 EQ, EX 2

INQ's.

TU- Fico - 716

EQ- Fico - 680

EX- 680 (Creditinform)

Congrats,  I would definitely call as soon as you can and try for an increase and state you are looking to finance a large purchase item for example like a retina macbook pro, this is what I did last month, good luck

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 14
tray
Valued Contributor

@jdirilo wrote:

Did you try the other backdoor number with barclay's, good luck with the recon...

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 14
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@dcal wrote:

INQ's.

TU- Fico - 716

EQ- Fico - 680

EX- 680 (Creditinform)

Barclays is notorious for being extremely sensitive to new accounts and inqs and have been known to take adverse action if new cardholders rack up inqs/ open other new accounts within the first 6-12 months of opening an account with them

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 9 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@dcal wrote:

INQ's.

TU- Fico - 716

EQ- Fico - 680

EX- 680 (Creditinform)

Congrats on the approval. Definitely call the backdoor sticky and ask for a higher CL. They're known to do that. You can always say that you're looking for a more expensive Apple equip.

They are sensitive to new accts., but myself and others have gotten a couple of new accts around the same time as Barclay's w/o any problem. More than maybe 2 is pushing it. If you have had a prior Amex, then any new Amex will be backdated (not co-branded, only those on Amex's website). So, actually those probably wouldn't affect Barclay's because when they soft you, they're going to see an older acct show up. However, if you haven't had Amex before, then they'll show up as new accts.

I wouldn't get a 2nd Barclay's at the same time. I'd wait at least 6 mos if you're interested in the Ring.

I'd say w/your scores, you could probably get an Amex charge but not a revolver. Also, I believe Amex likes to see more than 1 TL for over a year before giving a revolver. I'm not sure about SPG. I think that's a little harder to get. Probably Zync or Green, if you don't mind the AF. I would start w/Zync if it were me (and that is what I did). If you're interested in an Amex revolver, then you could app after Zync approval, on the same day, w/only one HP. So, if you're denied, it's not a 2nd HP. Worth a shot if there's an Amex revolver you want, like BCE (no AF) for example. Or actually, you could app for SPG after Zync approval and still only 1 HP.

The logic behind apping for Zync first is that #1, it's the easiest to get, so will get your foot in the door for future cards and backdating. #2, all apps on same day are only 1 HP, so no harm in trying for more than 1 CC. #3, after an Amex denial, you can't app again for 30 days. So, this way you're pretty much assured of getting an Amex to start with. Then if you get a 2nd one approved, you're that much more ahead of the game. You can always close the Zync at the end of the year if you don't want to keep it. Whereas, if you app for the SPG, for example, and are denied, it's a HP and you can't app again for 1 month. And then it will be another HP when you app again.

Travelocity Amex is thru Barclay's, IIRC. So, again, I wouldn't do that right after getting the Apple.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.