Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Arrival WMC vs. Platinum MC

tag
w003ptr
Contributor

Barclay Arrival WMC vs. Platinum MC

If you don't qualify for the Arrival WMC (AF version), but do get approved for the Platinum MC, do you still get the 40,000 point bonus?

I'm considering applying, but I doubt (I know I won't) I'll get approved for the WMC since when I apply my income will only be ~$30k, plus I have a low AAoA and two new accounts.. which I know are two things Barclay factors in heavily.

From what I understand, the Platinum is the same as WMC except there is a lower CL, possibly higher APR, and no concierge service.. three things I don't care much about anyway.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay Arrival WMC vs. Platinum MC

If you apply for the WMC but only get the Platinum they will just give you the 20k deal.  How old are your newest accounts?

Message 2 of 33
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

If you apply for the WMC but only get the Platinum they will just give you the 20k deal.  How old are your newest accounts?

Not in my experience.  I applied for the WMC and received the Plat ... but received the 40,000 bonus.

The difference is more than concierge service, it's the WMC package of benefits.  They are mostly travel benefits like trip insurance, car rental coverage etc.

Message 3 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Not in my experience.  I applied for the WMC and received the Plat ... but received the 40,000 bonus.

The difference is more than concierge service, it's the WMC package of benefits.  They are mostly travel benefits like trip insurance, car rental coverage etc.

Interesting data point.  I've read on other boards that hasn't been the case, so I guess it's YMMV.

Message 4 of 33
w003ptr
Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Both were opened last month and both show on TU, which is what I've been told barclays pulls.  I read the two replies above this post, so I know it's YMMV on the bonus, but does the Platinum have both AF and non-AF version as well?  I'm going to downgrade to a non-AF version after a year since my spending won't justify the AF.

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I'm mainly in it for the 40,000 bonus and the 2x points, which the Platinum also offers, correct?  The added benefits of WMC would be nice, but even without them the 40k bonus plus 2x points is the best travel card offer out there right now; at least for my purposes and spending habits (domestic, non-business, coach, low spending, various airlines/hotels).  CSP would be nice, but it's unlikely that I'll get approved for a Visa Sig, plus I won't always be able to take full advantage of UR points because I don't consistently fly with the same airlines (I fly with whichever is cheapest.. typically between AA, southwest, US airways, and United).

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

Message 5 of 33
barbaralee
Established Contributor

My husband was approved for the world and I put his income as 30k. 

Message 6 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Both were opened last month and both show on TU, which is what I've been told barclays pulls.  I read the two replies above this post, so I know it's YMMV on the bonus, but does the Platinum have both AF and non-AF version as well?  I'm going to downgrade to a non-AF version after a year since my spending won't justify the AF.

Well they're both WMC, one has an AF and the other doesn't.  I know they typically offer an annual retention bonus for the AF version and from looking at creditpulls, $5k seems to be the minimum CL for both cards.

Message 7 of 33
w003ptr
Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Well they're both WMC, one has an AF and the other doesn't.  I know they typically offer an annual retention bonus for the AF version and from looking at creditpulls, $5k seems to be the minimum CL for both cards.

Right, I know how the two WMC versions work.  I'm wondering about the Platinum version(s) though.  For example, say Person A applies for AF WMC and Person B applies for Non-AF WMC.  Both are denied, but also approved for "Platinum MC".  Are there also AF and non-AF versions of Platinum?  Or will both of them get the same card with the same benefits (excluding CL and APR, of course).

Message 8 of 33
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

My bad, just re - read your question. I'm not sure if they do offer a platinum product for both cards.
Message 9 of 33
Scupra
Super Contributor

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Right, I know how the two WMC versions work.  I'm wondering about the Platinum version(s) though.  For example, say Person A applies for AF WMC and Person B applies for Non-AF WMC.  Both are denied, but also approved for "Platinum MC".  Are there also AF and non-AF versions of Platinum?  Or will both of them get the same card with the same benefits (excluding CL and APR, of course).

Over in the BK forum there is a member who applied for the annual fee version of the WMC and was approved for the Platinum version which had the annual fee. Same person said they got the sign up bonus and 2x points on all purchases. Hope this helps you!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.