w003ptr
Contributor

Re: Barclay Arrival WMC vs. Platinum MC

@Scupra wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

@B335is wrote:

If you apply for the WMC but only get the Platinum they will just give you the 20k deal.  How old are your newest accounts?

Both were opened last month and both show on TU, which is what I've been told barclays pulls.  I read the two replies above this post, so I know it's YMMV on the bonus, but does the Platinum have both AF and non-AF version as well?  I'm going to downgrade to a non-AF version after a year since my spending won't justify the AF.

Well they're both WMC, one has an AF and the other doesn't.  I know they typically offer an annual retention bonus for the AF version and from looking at creditpulls, $5k seems to be the minimum CL for both cards.

Right, I know how the two WMC versions work.  I'm wondering about the Platinum version(s) though.  For example, say Person A applies for AF WMC and Person B applies for Non-AF WMC.  Both are denied, but also approved for "Platinum MC".  Are there also AF and non-AF versions of Platinum?  Or will both of them get the same card with the same benefits (excluding CL and APR, of course).

Over in the BK forum there is a member who applied for the annual fee version of the WMC and was approved for the Platinum version which had the annual fee. Same person said they got the sign up bonus and 2x points on all purchases. Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the info! 

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 11 of 33
kulamrazool82
Valued Member

There are 3 different Barclay Arrival Cards:

1. Arrival World MC - $89 AF, 40K Bonus Pts, 2x on every purchase. Additionally, Concierge & travel insurance benefits.
2. Arrival Plat MC - $89 AF, 40K Bonus Pts, 2x on every purchase.
3. Arrival MC - No AF. 20K Bonus Pts, 2x on Dining & Travel and 1x on every other purchase.

If one applies for Arrival World MC (1), if he/she is not approved for WMC (1) he/she may get approved for Platinum version (2). Just in case, if someone applies for No AF Arrival MC (3), he/she ll get approval decision for that card alone..internally this appln will not be submitted for Platinum version.

As far as bonus pts. are concerned, its NOT a YMMV thing, those numbers are pretty much same for every applicant. And I have no idea about APR & Credit Limit difference.

In my case, I applied for WMC and got approved for Platinum version (3K CL, $89 AF, 40K Bonus Pts., 2x on every purchase, 1 Yr 0% APR, 1st year no AF).

Hope this helps.

Note: Siggy has to be updated.

Scores: 723 (EX CITI Pull 11/09/13), 669 (CK 11/21/13), 680 (EQ Duck Card Score 11/11/13) 664 (Walmart TU FICO Nov '13)
Duck Card - 12K | Amex BCE - 2K | Amex Costco - 1.2K | CITI TY Pref - 6.5K | Chase Freedom - 3K | DCU Visa - 5K | Genisys CU Visa - 2K | Discover More - 4.5K | Cap1 Q Silver - 1500 | Cap One Hassle Free - 1500 | Amazon Store - 1900 | Walmart Store - 800 | Kohls - 300 | Macys - 800
Message 12 of 33
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Although I didn't apply for the Arrival, I put my income close to $30,000 (student) and I was approved for the World version of the Sallie Mae card. In addition, I had a ton of new accounts.

I think it depends more on your overall credit profile, because based on my income and new accounts, I don't think Barclays would have given me the limit that I got.

Message 13 of 33
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I agree with Chelsea. My husband is a doctorate student, his income is right around 30k. He has about 8% utilization, and has never paid a dime in cc interest in his life *knock on wood*. His credit is good, but limited, and I believe is Fico is right around 730. No baddies. He was approved for the World Arrival, 5k. I think the general rule of thumb is if the credit line is 5k or over it will be a World. 

Message 14 of 33
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@kulamrazool82 wrote:

There are 3 different Barclay Arrival Cards:

1. Arrival World MC - $89 AF, 40K Bonus Pts, 2x on every purchase. Additionally, Concierge & travel insurance benefits.
2. Arrival Plat MC - $89 AF, 40K Bonus Pts, 2x on every purchase.
3. Arrival MC - No AF. 20K Bonus Pts, 2x on Dining & Travel and 1x on every other purchase.

There is also a no AF Arrival Platinum MasterCard, which you will be considered for if you are not approved for the no AF World version.

Message 15 of 33
w003ptr
Contributor

Thanks for the info all.  It's good to know that I might have a shot at the WMC, but if not the Platinum (hopefully I can at least get that) still carries the same bonus and cash back!

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 16 of 33
DomoNomo
Contributor

I have the Arrival World MasterCard - No AF. 20K Bonus Pts, 2x on Dining & Travel and 1x on every other purchase.

Message 17 of 33
enharu
Super Contributor

From what I have seen, the plat and world MC are pretty much the same card minus several world MC benefits, which I doubt most people will even use or care about.

You will still get 40k miles and earn 2 miles pet dollar, as long as you clicked on the right promo link, so make sure on that.

The biggest determinant for a world MC seems to be a 5k CL, though there are other unknown factors as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 33
slweal87
Contributor

Awesome I just got approve for the AF Platinum version and am looking forward to my travel rewards! I have been looking everywhere and I am convinced that the plantinum version also awards the 40,000 bonus miles after spending 1,000 in 3 months. I've heard it's fairly instant too. As in as the bonus is applied immediately once you've spent 1,000$.

Can you convert this card into the non-AF version as people do with the Chase Sapphire Preferred/Non Preferred? If not I'll be closing it.

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 19 of 33
askme3012
New Contributor

Just got approved for $2K CL for No AF Barclays Arrival MC(instant decision). Platinum version as <$5K CL.

All FICOs in 720s but short credit history. I called for recon on CL but the rep said only my US Bank card with $800 was reporting which has an excellent utilization and thus they could not extend the CL. I had  a Discover card open last month with $3K CL which is yet to start reporting. 

With Barclays, they will use only 1 pull for 30 days. Shall I call again? or wait for discover to report 1st balance and then call in for CLI.

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.