tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Black Metal Card

@FinStar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
There's a cc for every individual. Those who've apped and are carrying the card may not agree with the 'worst card ever' sentiment.

+1. I've made my feelings for this card known on many previous occasions, but there are some people out there who still want it.

It reminds me of this reality dating show I was watching while flipping through the channels. I normally can't stand reality TV, but this was actually interesting. They had a guy on there who made me absolutely shudder, and I couldn't help but think "who in their right mind would go after this guy?"

He was thinner than a sack of bones, looked like his mum still dressed him, had horse-like teeth bigger than Mr. Ed, skin that was flaking off in multiple places, a face like a smashed crab, was unemployed, and had the absolutely dorkiest personality ever. To his credit though he was a nice guy.

After being passed over by 20+ women, one was quite enthralled and asked him out on a date. My fiancee always says that "there's someone out there for everyone", and this guy was living proof.

IMO Visa Black is the credit card version of the guy with the smashed-crab face. Most people will say "what the hell are you thinking?!"... but there's still someone out there who will bite.

Just curious, but is that woman as ugly as that guy? Or that guy pretty much won the lottery?

lol when i read the post, the first impression that came to my mind was gaming nerds.

A lot of them are shunned by normal people because they're just socially awkward, and once in a while there's a gamer "chick" that gets them all excited. However, 99% of the chicks that play computer games extensively are pretty much untouchable. Most guys rather probably rather die a virgin.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
There's a cc for every individual. Those who've apped and are carrying the card may not agree with the 'worst card ever' sentiment.

+1. I've made my feelings for this card known on many previous occasions, but there are some people out there who still want it.

It reminds me of this reality dating show I was watching while flipping through the channels. I normally can't stand reality TV, but this was actually interesting. They had a guy on there who made me absolutely shudder, and I couldn't help but think "who in their right mind would go after this guy?"

He was thinner than a sack of bones, looked like his mum still dressed him, had horse-like teeth bigger than Mr. Ed, skin that was flaking off in multiple places, a face like a smashed crab, was unemployed, and had the absolutely dorkiest personality ever. To his credit though he was a nice guy.

After being passed over by 20+ women, one was quite enthralled and asked him out on a date. My fiancee always says that "there's someone out there for everyone", and this guy was living proof.

IMO Visa Black is the credit card version of the guy with the smashed-crab face. Most people will say "what the hell are you thinking?!"... but there's still someone out there who will bite.

Just curious, but is that woman as ugly as that guy? Or that guy pretty much won the lottery?

She was above-average, so given where he was in relation to her he essentially won the lottery.

I'd put her as a 6/10, whereas he would've been a 2.

1s are reserved for victims of acid attacks, people who look like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

ROFLOL @ enharu & CreditScholar... you guys have me laughing so hard!!!   LOL   

Oh hi dear Lexie... I think we're sort of still on topic right?  Somehow the analogies just seem to fit....  Robot LOL

Message 23 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You know, I was going to let this go for a few minutes more before I mentioned...

Stay on topic! Smiley Wink
Message 24 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Powertrip wrote:

[QUOTE]+1. I've made my feelings for this card known on many previous occasions, but there are some people out there who still want it.

IMO Visa Black is the credit card version of the guy with the smashed-crab face. Most people will say "what the hell are you thinking?!"... but there's still someone out there who will bite.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying... is the Visa Black has a nice personality...?

I'm saying no matter how lousy something may seem (like the Visa Black), there's always someone crazy enough to really want it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 31
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

As much as you guys like to butcher this card as awful, I'd like to point out a few perks that make the card worth it to obtain to some:  

1.  Priority Pass (unlimited visits to Priority Pass approved lounges...$399 value)

2.  2% redemption on airfare so 25000 pts gets you $500 airfare instead of only $250.  

3.  25000 bonus points with the first $1500 spent

4.  No FETF

5.  0% APR for first year on purchases and BTs.  

Now granted, this is nothing compared to other programs (IE AMEX Platinum) but at least the cardholder is able to get SOME perks as opposed to cards that offer nothing and still charge annual fees, account setup fees and other various fees.  

I'd say this card is FAR from the worst card ever.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 26 of 31
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@john398 wrote:

For some reason on my yahoo we mail I keep seeing ad's for the Barclays Black Visa card but I would noyt pay a $495 fee for any credit card, that seems rediculous to me

I'd recommend always considering all aspects of any given card versus just the AF -- or any one aspect for that matter.  That said, some AF's are out of budget for some people.

Black doesn't fit my needs/wants either but, as indicated in several posts in this thread, it certainly does for some people or else it wouldn't still be around.

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, and "worst card ever" probably isn't true.   But there has to be room for people to basically say "This card really is a bad choice" (e.g. there is a card that is as easy to get with all and more of the features at lower cost).  The implication isn't that the person who DOES have the card is a stupid loser, but it is useful information for others who might be considering it.

There is a difference between being generally supportive and being strongly affirming of all choices, even bad ones!

I don't see Lexie's posts as stating that the Black card is above criticism.  "Worst card ever" just doesn't really say much.  Nothing wrong with that opinion but a little bit of the why behind that opinion and what are considered better options and why would actually add the useful information that you mention.

Message 27 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the comments guys Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 31
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

As much as you guys like to butcher this card as awful, I'd like to point out a few perks that make the card worth it to obtain to some:  

1.  Priority Pass (unlimited visits to Priority Pass approved lounges...$399 value)

2.  2% redemption on airfare so 25000 pts gets you $500 airfare instead of only $250.  

4.  No FETF

Now granted, this is nothing compared to other programs (IE AMEX Platinum) but at least the cardholder is able to get SOME perks as opposed to cards that offer nothing and still charge annual fees, account setup fees and other various fees.  

Yes, I think we can agree that this card is better than most offerings from FP or Credit One!  "Worst card ever" probably was meant as hyperbole rather than literal. I believe that originally the card didn't have lounge access, adding that does change the value slightly.

Message 29 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

4.  No FETF

Yes, I think we can agree that this card is better than most offerings from FP or Credit One!  "Worst card ever" probably was meant as hyperbole rather than literal. I believe that originally the card didn't have lounge access, adding that does change the value slightly.

Well is it really unlimited, or is there a cap to the number of lounge visits?

A lot of the bad rep about this card came about when the first was first introduced.

Barclays had pretty liberal approval standards (probably about the same as their Barclay rewards card for average credit), and the minimum CL was as low as $500, which doesn't make it seem anything remotely close to being "exclusive" at all. Worst part of it all, people were still hit with the $495 AF immediately once the account was opened, leaving $5 as available credit for those who were approved with $500 CL. This business practice obviously didn't sit well with many people, including regulators, and the AF is now capped at 25% of CL.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.