Did you mean: 

Barclay Card Holders - Experience Feedback Wanted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Card Holders - Experience Feedback Wanted

@Anonymous wrote:

@Onthe27thday wrote:

I love barclays. I get regular CLIs and APR redcutions on my Rewards card.

I have nothing bad to say.

Define Regular CLI?

Once a month or once every 6 months?

Minimum wait is 6 months. I got APR decrease and SP CLI today, just shy of 6 months of opening
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had their Upromise card for almost 2 years, and just got their Cash Forward card. I haven't had any issues with them. 

The starting limit on my UPromise card was $2500, and they increased it to $4k when I asked. I had to answer a few extra questions - told them I wanted it so I could buy some new appliances for my kitchen and I wanted to use the card so I could get the 10% cash back with the card through the UPromise website. I just had to tell them what my extra cash was each month that I planned to pay towards the balance, and how long I expected to take to pay it off. I told them would be PIF in 3 months (had a 0% intro rate on card). They gave me the increase. 

That call though made it pretty clear they don't like people to carry a balance. I don't use them too much - auto pay my electric bill through one, and water bill through the other. Every once in a while I'll pull them out and show them love for a bigger purchase, but always make sure to pay it off as soon as it processes. While I haven't had any problems with them and like them - I would definitely not ignore the talk about AA they have taken against some people here. Carrying balances, and lots of apping seems to spook them. 

Message 22 of 25
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I'll start by saying that my experience with Barclay has been overwhelming positive - they caught fraduluent charges immediately on my A+ card and straightened it out with a bare minimum of time and hassle on my end. They've been responsive when I've needed assistance or information. When it comes to customer service, they've consistently delivered. Their web interface is decent (far better than some, perhaps not quite as nice as others).

That said, I've had the Arrival+ for just under two years, and I'm planning on closing the card this month before the annual fee posts. The first year was great, with the opening bonus being well worth opening the account, and the 10% bonus on all reward redemptions being quite generous. However, the lowered bonus on redemptions (now only 5%) makes the A+ a wash with DC and many other cards unless you care about things like FTF and such.

In the years I've had the card, I've run a fair amount through it as it was our go-to card for everything that could be charged, except gas and groceries which went on the Sallie Mae or AmEv BCP. I never saw a CLI on the A+ card in that time, although Barclays was very generous with my credit line when I opened the SM. So as far as I can tell, Barclay is hard to get CLI out of.

The reason I kept the card a second year was international expenditures. I was planning a trip around renewal time and the math worked out that the annual fee was essentially a wash with what foreign transaction fees would have run on a different card. Since going foward I don't anticipate much international travel, it simply isn't worth the expense of keeping this particular card.

tl; dr - no issues with A+ card, but cannot justify fee

Message 23 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

I'll start by saying that my experience with Barclay has been overwhelming positive - they caught fraduluent charges immediately on my A+ card and straightened it out with a bare minimum of time and hassle on my end. They've been responsive when I've needed assistance or information. When it comes to customer service, they've consistently delivered. Their web interface is decent (far better than some, perhaps not quite as nice as others).

That said, I've had the Arrival+ for just under two years, and I'm planning on closing the card this month before the annual fee posts. The first year was great, with the opening bonus being well worth opening the account, and the 10% bonus on all reward redemptions being quite generous. However, the lowered bonus on redemptions (now only 5%) makes the A+ a wash with DC and many other cards unless you care about things like FTF and such.

In the years I've had the card, I've run a fair amount through it as it was our go-to card for everything that could be charged, except gas and groceries which went on the Sallie Mae or AmEv BCP. I never saw a CLI on the A+ card in that time, although Barclays was very generous with my credit line when I opened the SM. So as far as I can tell, Barclay is hard to get CLI out of.

The reason I kept the card a second year was international expenditures. I was planning a trip around renewal time and the math worked out that the annual fee was essentially a wash with what foreign transaction fees would have run on a different card. Since going foward I don't anticipate much international travel, it simply isn't worth the expense of keeping this particular card.

There are plenty of no-fee cards which have no foreign transaction fees. E.g. Barclay Ring, Barclay JetBlue, PenFed Promise, Capital One Venture One, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover IT, NFCU Platinum, to name a few.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 24 of 25
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:
<snip>

There are plenty of no-fee cards which have no foreign transaction fees. E.g. Barclay Ring, Barclay JetBlue, PenFed Promise, Capital One Venture One, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover IT, NFCU Platinum, to name a few.

Thank you, I am aware, however none of the cards in my profile are no-FTF cards, and right now I'm not willing to take a pull for a new card given that I don't plan any international expenditures in the near future. Additionally, I'd rather pay the FT fees and use a HP for a card with a very lucrative sign-on bonus as I'd be well ahead in the long run.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.