Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Strikes again... CLD!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay Strikes again... CLD!

From 25K to 1K!?

I don't have patience -I'd close it in a heartbeat!

Message 11 of 66
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From 25K to 1K!?

+100 in a HEARTBEAT! Smiley Mad

Message 12 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jbsea wrote:

When I first started this jouney of credit I really wanted a Barclay card.  But over time and reading all of this.... This is why I will never get one.  I'm so glad everyone post this because I never would have none.  But I'm sorry that they did this to you guys.

I closed mine back about 4 or so months ago after a similar thing... I had gotten a 2nd card, CLI and combined cards and had $5k and it sat for months and months with no use so I took it out for a couple charges, under $50 bucks and when the statement cut they CLD to $1300 I think... They would not reinstate the CL so I closed it.

Will update Monday after he is able to talk to underwriting, if they won't reinstate it will be closed.

If your partner is as active as you are creditwise then I would stop being so shocked at AA.  I mean it sucks for sure, no doubt about it, but no lenders are going to give you a phone call before CLD'ing because as someone else stated its done automatically by a computer program.  I truly enjoy following your active journey in the CC world but you have to understand that anyone with your number of cards and inquires will raise an eyebrow or two.

Message 13 of 66
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

As expected as some replies suggest (and Is True) this is still very good information to take note of. Thanks CA for sharing. And here is why.

While this community has long well knew how tender that Barclays "IS", it's of importance to also know how "EXTREME" they can be when their hammer does come down.

As mentioned, that good a Limit all the way down the ladder to $1K should make it aware for others who are yet to experience something similar and so they might take action to prevent it on themselves or a friend/family member.

That being said it's almost assured there is a point of trigger in months? whereby a Lender will draw out the hatchet on such an unused account (probably) at any level but just so happened with the OP's friend they had a very nice limit. I suppose we could say that Limit with Barclays (maybe others) sitting high on their scale at zero usage is a nice big Target that looms encouraging for them to take a whack at and unfortunately they did.

I have (1) Barclays card (Ring @$5K) and they have not issued any auto-cli's since going back 2 years ago with the Rewards Card. I tried several times for Sallie Mae MC in my first year with no joy only wasted HP's plus on the Ring app that was also denied. However they did allow a product change to it but still refused to offer any more credit. In other words that Rewards Card limit is the current Ring Card limit.

Some members have had much better luck in their card relationship with Barclays but that also sure doesn't make them immune to what we see in here like this from time to time either.

Message 14 of 66
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

As expected as some replies suggest (and Is True) this is still very good information to take note of. Thanks CA for sharing. And here is why.

While this community has long well knew how tender that Barclays "IS", it's of importance to also know how "EXTREME" they can be when their hammer does come down.

As mentioned, that good a Limit all the way down the ladder to $1K should make it aware for others who are yet to experience something similar and so they might take action to prevent it on themselves or a friend/family member.

That being said it's almost assured there is a point of trigger in months? whereby a Lender will draw out the hatchet on such an unused account (probably) at any level but just so happened with the OP's friend they had a very nice limit. I suppose we could say that Limit with Barclays (maybe others) sitting high on their scale at zero usage is a nice big Target that looms encouraging for them to take a whack at and unfortunately they did.

@I have (1) Barclays card (Ring @$5K) and they have not issued any auto-cli's since going back 2 years ago with the Rewards Card. I tried several times for Sallie Mae MC in my first year with no joy only wasted HP's plus on the Ring app that was also denied. However they did allow a product change to it but still refused to offer any more credit. In other words that Rewards Card limit is the current Ring Card limit.

Some members have had much better luck in their card relationship with Barclays but that also sure doesn't make them immune to what we see in here like this from time to time either.

Barclays is very tricky to deal with, but

(a) I love the Ring card, it's my absolute favorite credit card in the universe

(b) They're not as sticky with some of their other cards

(c) I like their card offerings, and find both my Rewards Card and my LL Bean card to be very useful

(d) They're about to add a great travel card, their new Jet Blue card

(e) Their recon through 'backdoor' numbers is sometimes helpful

(f) They give auto CLI's if they're happy with the account

(g) They have been pretty transparent about what will prompt them to give a CLI... an average balance in the 20 to 35% range (based on my observation they're just as happy with 10% to 35% as they are with 20% to 35%)

So I try to keep them happy Smiley Happy

I know, theoretically, they should be trying to keep me happy, but they are a bank after all.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 66
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jbsea wrote:

When I first started this jouney of credit I really wanted a Barclay card.  But over time and reading all of this.... This is why I will never get one.  I'm so glad everyone post this because I never would have none.  But I'm sorry that they did this to you guys.

I closed mine back about 4 or so months ago after a similar thing... I had gotten a 2nd card, CLI and combined cards and had $5k and it sat for months and months with no use so I took it out for a couple charges, under $50 bucks and when the statement cut they CLD to $1300 I think... They would not reinstate the CL so I closed it.

Will update Monday after he is able to talk to underwriting, if they won't reinstate it will be closed.

If your partner is as active as you are creditwise then I would stop being so shocked at AA.  I mean it sucks for sure, no doubt about it, but no lenders are going to give you a phone call before CLD'ing because as someone else stated its done automatically by a computer program.  I truly enjoy following your active journey in the CC world but you have to understand that anyone with your number of cards and inquires will raise an eyebrow or two.

+1 I'm not sure why so many posters expect a call before AA. (And the T&Cs always state the bank has the right to lower or increase your limit at their discretion) It makes no sense for a bank to contact someone and say they will close their account (in the case of AA) or lower their limit -- a ton of people would go out, run up the limit and probably leave the bank screwed out of money (not everyone would of course but if you were a bank, would you really tell your cardholders that their limit will be decreased/card closed because they're looking risky?). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 16 of 66
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I really think Barclay's has a bad reputation on here and it's somewhat unfair. No they don't like aggressive credit seeking and tons of inquiries. They don't like people getting the cards and barely using them. Does that make them horrible or crooks? No, they're running a business. They just happen to actually expect people to use the cards they were given, as opposed to getting them for a one time bonus, or getting them just to get them. I know a lot of people will disagree but I see no problem with it. People who want to collect cards or go for bonuses probably should avoid Barclay's, as they seem to prefer active, long term cardholders.
Message 17 of 66
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

From 25K to 1K!?

+100 in a HEARTBEAT! Smiley Mad

LMAO Baller!!  I knew you'd pop in here agreeing with this LOLOL!!! Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 66
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OK Folks, (not you CA, because I know you know all of this anyways)....

Barclays is really not that difficult to figure out....

They don't like BT's, cash advances, lots of new acts and/INQ, or cards holders going long periods of time without using their cards, and for the holders to use them just for bonus points and bonus categories, and using most of their CL. LOL (think of them as an insecure jealous GF who is always checking up on you, or wanting to see your phone)...Smiley Wink

Some will say...'Then why have all of that if they don't want us to take advantage of it"..The simple answer is...They needed something to draw you in into applying for the card, but really didn't expect you to take full advantage of it all. I know its upside down, and some won't agree here, but it is what it is.

They do like..monthly use, PIF (in most cases..some will disagree), and a wide range of different swipes, not just bonus categories.

There's my personal analysis of Barclays.

We get a long just fine too....despite my 2 crazy app sprees within the last oh, year and half (and I mean cray cray!! Like 10 new acts on each spree). why?? Because I PIF, use their card monthly for different purchases and not just bonus categories, keep my overall util low (1%), I don't take advantage of BT's or cash advances....

I may be risky to them as far as new acts and INQ, and Im not saying that Im not untouchable either for any AA, but I also treat them very carefully and don't use very much of my CL, which they also like, (at least in my case)...

OK..Thats my personal take..Smiley Wink
Message 19 of 66
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I only had two declined applications last year; one was for Sallie Mae and was summarily turned down due to being 'blacklisted' because of an old Juniper Bank charge off from many years ago.

I can now say that I couldn't be more pleased that things worked out the way they did.  There's an ancient Chinese curse, "May your every wish be granted."  My Sallie Mae decline is a perfect example of how much wisdom there is to this.

grandpa.gif

Message 20 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.