Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay for MacBook

tag
Flowerchild31
New Visitor

Barclay for MacBook

I'm interested in purchasing a MacBook but after my boyfriend got denied trying to get me a Mother's Day gift, I'm a little hesitant. I can pay cash but would rather finance so I can have that on my credit report.  Right now my score is 640, (was 710, but I'm in the midst of a dispute) I have 3 & 4 years of credit card history - all paid on time. 3.5 years of an auto loan paid on time. But currently disputing two negatives on my report that are incorrect. One is a CO ( or CL - whatever that means) for rom jan '14 - April '14 for a bank that was negative for too long. Which I was aware of & paid with check in jan, but address wasn't updated & they sent back check - which was never received. Other negative is a Internet bill of 50$ that is in collections as of this month that I just paid today. They also didn't update address properly. So do I apply for finance, and if I get denied just call? or should I wait. I was thinking of waiting until July for school promotions they give out anyway. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Barclay for MacBook

since those are so new of negatives i would probably wait but they are really good with recon and pull TU only and maybe since they are smaller amounts and for things related to moving they will overlook.

Message 2 of 15
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Wait - for school financing.  If it helps - Best Buy usually has $100 off Apple comps for students/educators; you have to register your .edu email account with them.  For what it is worth - I probably had about the same or slightly higher TU score than yours when I applied for the US Airways card.  I was approved - but nearly a year later when I applied for an Apple card  - just for the sake of having another card -  I was denied.  I tried to recon, but I was old no.    

Also, if no interest for a while is what you want - there are many cards you can choose from with anywhere between 12 - 18 months of 0% financing.  Try whogavemecredit.com to see what might be best for you to apply for.  If you wait - your score might be a little higher - you can get a BB discount - AND maybe you will get a credit card that you can use anywhere, not just with Apple.  But with recent col - it may be difficult - so no matter what waiting is a good idea.

@Flowerchild31 wrote:

I'm interested in purchasing a MacBook but after my boyfriend got denied trying to get me a Mother's Day gift, I'm a little hesitant. I can pay cash but would rather finance so I can have that on my credit report.  Right now my score is 640, (was 710, but I'm in the midst of a dispute) I have 3 & 4 years of credit card history - all paid on time. 3.5 years of an auto loan paid on time. But currently disputing two negatives on my report that are incorrect. One is a CO ( or CL - whatever that means) for rom jan '14 - April '14 for a bank that was negative for too long. Which I was aware of & paid with check in jan, but address wasn't updated & they sent back check - which was never received. Other negative is a Internet bill of 50$ that is in collections as of this month that I just paid today. They also didn't update address properly. So do I apply for finance, and if I get denied just call? or should I wait. I was thinking of waiting until July for school promotions they give out anyway. 

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 3 of 15
IWOL
Established Contributor

I think that those negatives being so recent, you will get a denial form Barclays. I would wait until you can perhaps get those removed by goodwill or dispute.

They will definitely see those as a sign that you are perhaps having financial difficulties since they are so recent.

When/If you do decide to apply, I would not get the Apple card. The only benefit of that card is the 0% fianancing terms. After that, it earns no rewards of any kind.

If you want to go with Barclays, maybe consider the Arrival. I believe you get 15 months, no interest on purchases and then you can earn points on your purchases. You could get the one with the annual fee, whcih is waive dteh first year and then downgrade the second year to teh no annual fee is you put less than $5k a year on the card.

You can also get 3% additional rewards from Mac Mall through the Arrival online portal or 2% from Apple store, so if you buy your Mac with the Arrival you can get a total of 5% back to use on travel purchases.

Message 4 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

The Apple card was beneficial when I bought my MB Air and iPhone 5s at 0%...

... Otherwise it's a worthless card. Much like BBY... Only good for the 0% promos.  But hey... It got my foot in the door with Barclay.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

... Otherwise it's a worthless card. Much like BBY... Only good for the 0% promos.  But hey... It got my foot in the door with Barclay.

^ Agreed, I ended up purchasing an iMac, then PC the card to a Rewards Visa...pretty sweet deal I got there.

Message 6 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

^ Agreed, I ended up purchasing an iMac, then PC the card to a Rewards Visa...pretty sweet deal I got there.

How long were you a cardholder before you did the PC?  I've had my card for 9 months... already got an auto CLI at 6 months from $1200 to $2200 and balance is $0 so I think I'm in their good graces... LOL

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 7 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

How long were you a cardholder before you did the PC?  I've had my card for 9 months... already got an auto CLI at 6 months from $1200 to $2200 and balance is $0 so I think I'm in their good graces... LOL

TRC, when I did the PC my 5th statement cut, however I've gotten no auto love on that card because I moved some balances around and Barclay considered that "change of credit line".  They even let me keep the 18 month 0% promo on the Visa Rewards (for the iMac purchase only of course). 

Message 8 of 15
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the tip.

I'm probably going to keep rolling with this card for another 3 months to reach 1 year and then see if I get a 2nd round of auto love and find out if a PC is possible too.

Message 9 of 15
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Thanks for the tip.

I'm probably going to keep rolling with this card for another 3 months to reach 1 year and then see if I get a 2nd round of auto love and find out if a PC is possible too.

Good plan, had I been a bit more patient I would have done the same! 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.