Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Black Card

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Barclay's Black Card

Good afternoon everyone! I just had to stop by and share this:

In my mailbox today was a 'pre-selected' offer for the Barclay's Black Card. As I was reading the material, I saw the $495 annual fee.....NO THANK YOU!! I don't know anything about this card, and the only thing I've ever read about Barclay's has been on this forum (mainly about how they are inq sensitive).

I know pre-selected does not mean the same as pre-approved, but I am psyched just to get an invite to apply. It's a real confidence booster!

Too bad I'm not remotely interested in what they are selling!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
dnice77
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay's Black Card

+1 i got the same offfer, they saw someting they liked when the softed me so that feels good but 495 !!! no thanks

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
compassion101
Established Contributor

any idea what you get for $495?

Message 3 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It's just the regular visa black card, which is backed by barclays.

https://www.blackcard.com

Apparently it is the worlds most prestigious and and versatile credit card. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

It's supposed to compete with the Amex Platinum, but I think Amex is a little better with the points.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Prestige or not, I'm cannot swing a $495 AF....

I guess they didn't get the memo that I am no where near the 1%!!! :-D

The offer I received had a 10k sign up bonus. It also said something about 25k points can get you a $500 airline ticket. But, it's only 1% cashback...no extra points for certain categories.
Message 6 of 18
hemi961
Regular Contributor

Read through some of the old posts on this card, there have been people who got a $500 cl for their $495 fee.  I think the reason it is only for 1% of the population is that they will be lucky to find 1% of the people who would be willing to pay the fee for this card. 

Message 7 of 18
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

It's not even a Visa Signature card.  An annual fee of $495 and its just a plain old Visa?  What gives?!?

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 8 of 18
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

495 for a 500 cl??!?!?! That is a rip off and should be illegal. It didn't even occur to me to search other forum posts about this card.

Shoot, I don't feel as "privileged" now. :-p

Message 9 of 18
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@hemi961 wrote:

Read through some of the old posts on this card, there have been people who got a $500 cl for their $495 fee.  I think the reason it is only for 1% of the population is that they will be lucky to find 1% of the people who would be willing to pay the fee for this card. 

Wow. You have got to be kidding me.

I don't want to pay the $495 for a Platinum or $595 for Palladium (not sure if I would qualify)... and they are charging people $495 for a $500 limit.

They would feel my wrath if they tried to pull that with me. That should be illegal.

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.