cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard Bonus Increased To 60,000 Miles.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard Bonus Increased To 60,000 Miles.

@happypill wrote:

You fly 60 times a year on Spirit/Frontier?  Ouch.  People who fly as frequently as you do can generally get great value from the major airline reward programs (you're their target audience and they will treat you like royalty).  You could make lifetime million miles in 3-4 years.  Definitely agree that you should check out some of the blogs for the best strategy.

I love Spirit.  LOVE them.  I keep track of all of the airfare options whenever I book and I know I save 5 figures a year flying Spirit (or Frontier).

I recently did a 2 day round-trip on Spirit for $78 total. $39 each way.  Every other airline was a minimum of $230 ($115 each way).  That's a savings of $152 which NO rewards program is going to offer ever.  Some years I do more than 60 trips.  My ongoing spreadsheet of savings shows out of 700 flights I've taken, I've saved over $93 average per flight.  That's $65,100 I've saved guaranteed in those 700 flights.  Some of my flights were as cheap as $23 one way when other carriers were $130 for the same flight!

I don't need a check-in bag, ever.  I don't need a carry-on bag, ever.  I don't need seat assignments as I fit in any seat (5'8" 155#).  I don't need "free" water or peanuts as I can bring my own and do.  I don't need inflight WiFi or video screens.  There is no point in me subsidizing those who need that stuff.

I've tried airline rewards programs and it's too complicated and frustrating.  My dad is a multimillion mile flier on AA and he's angry all the time that he can't book the flights he wants for the rewards he's earned.  My business partner has earned millions in reward points on various airlines and he complains about the lack fo redemption options for him.

If I was flying business class to Europe 15x a year, I'd consider a rewards program, but most of the time I do just fine playing the scheduling game and buying my own business class seat at a very good rate.  

Message 31 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard Bonus Increased To 60,000 Miles.

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

You fly 60 times a year on Spirit/Frontier?  Ouch.  People who fly as frequently as you do can generally get great value from the major airline reward programs (you're their target audience and they will treat you like royalty).  You could make lifetime million miles in 3-4 years.  Definitely agree that you should check out some of the blogs for the best strategy.

I love Spirit.  LOVE them.  I keep track of all of the airfare options whenever I book and I know I save 5 figures a year flying Spirit (or Frontier).

I recently did a 2 day round-trip on Spirit for $78 total. $39 each way.  Every other airline was a minimum of $230 ($115 each way).  That's a savings of $152 which NO rewards program is going to offer ever.  Some years I do more than 60 trips.  My ongoing spreadsheet of savings shows out of 700 flights I've taken, I've saved over $93 average per flight.  That's $65,100 I've saved guaranteed in those 700 flights.  Some of my flights were as cheap as $23 one way when other carriers were $130 for the same flight!

I don't need a check-in bag, ever.  I don't need a carry-on bag, ever.  I don't need seat assignments as I fit in any seat (5'8" 155#).  I don't need "free" water or peanuts as I can bring my own and do.  I don't need inflight WiFi or video screens.  There is no point in me subsidizing those who need that stuff.

I've tried airline rewards programs and it's too complicated and frustrating.  My dad is a multimillion mile flier on AA and he's angry all the time that he can't book the flights he wants for the rewards he's earned.  My business partner has earned millions in reward points on various airlines and he complains about the lack fo redemption options for him.

If I was flying business class to Europe 15x a year, I'd consider a rewards program, but most of the time I do just fine playing the scheduling game and buying my own business class seat at a very good rate.  

So what you are saying is that you are the reason that airlines keep providing a worse and worse service.  So you don't need a checked bag or a carry on? I would say if I flew that often I would like to have at least a greyhound bus type of experience.  Well even if I flew once a year I would want to check a bag.  Or at worst have a carry-on.  

This is why I won't ever fly WOW airlines. Their price looks cheap but when you check the costs for a checked bag, a carry on and seat assignment it actually more expensive.   I could imagine what it is like on Spirit where they don't even provide the small seats that normal airlines have.  

Message 32 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're starting to veer way off course of the OP.  Keep the discussion on the Aviator card, not Spirit or people's choices in airlines. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.