Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Conversion Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard Conversion Letter

athalon,

I just received the same letter. I was shocked. I didn't even know that was possible. I knew they could close the card, but to simple sell the card to another company was surprising. I also have the Barclaycard Rewards card. I don't think it has anything to do with the utilization or total debt, since my card had a $0 balance. I was afraid something was going to happen with this card since every time I called Barclay they would refuse to do anything(APR reduction, CLI, etc.) But it's still disappointing. There's no AF, so I'll just keep the card open to build my AAoA but there's little chance I'll ever use it again for anything other than a single purchase every few months to keep it active.
Message 11 of 308
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Very interesting. I have 3 Barclays credit cards, but they are all cobranded. I can’t say I would be inclined to keep any of them if I received noticed that one or more were going to be transferred to some obscure financial institution I’ve never heard of.

I’ll be curious to see if this acquisition is expanded to more Barclays products.

Message 12 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

DerekEnzo, 

I am with you re: using the card sparingly.  Emotionally speaking, I would like to never have to deal with Barclay or this Mercury card.  But fiscally the best thing I could do is keep working hard on this trade line and hopefully be able to build a better relationship with Barclay in the future with a better product.  Time will tell, maybe this Mercury Mastercard will end up being a blessing in disguise for both of us.

Message 13 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay has always been good to me.. I still have my highest limit of 11.5K with them. It started on sallie mae, then commence, then finally the horrid barclay rewards card.. If i lose this card with them, then I lose my status with them which stinks. In 6 months I was hoping to apply for the uber cc and transfer my CL and close the rewards card.. guess i'll miss out if i get hit with this.

Message 14 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also received the letter today from Mercury. However I am more confused! The 4 digit Barclaycard account number referenced in the letter as being sold and being converted I’d not the same number as my active account with Barclaycard. Also I find it strange that Mercury is referring to Barclaycard as they changed their name to Barclays several months back. Lastly, I called Barclays about this. The customer service rep told me that my account has not been sold. She also could not find a active account with Barclays with the ending 4 digit account number that is listed as my account number with Barclaycard on the letter I received from Mercury. I am wondering if this is some sort of scam going around?
Message 15 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe it's a scam. This Mercury MasterCard is serviced by CreditShop. If you Google CreditShop you'll find a few articles where Barclay sold a bunch of CC's to them late last year. I think they're just now getting the transition put in motion.
Message 16 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t know, just Barclay telling me my account has not been sold and the Barclay account number referenced in the letter is not my account number is strange!
Message 17 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're much more level-headed than me. I'll never use another Barclay service. My experience, however, has been awful for years with them. This is just the final straw. I'm actually looking forward to the small satisfaction I'll get when I move by home savings account out of their bank, too.
Message 18 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don’t know, just Barclay telling me my account has not been sold and the Barclay account number referenced in the letter is not my account number is strange!

I am equally confused now.  After looking again at my letter the account number listed is not the same as my active account number so I called Customer Service back.  The agent stated that the numbers listed on my letter are the last 4 digits of my NEW account for Mercury Mastercard.  At this point, at least in my case, it looks as though the letter is accurate insofar as my account is converting.

If you find out any more information, please let us know.

Message 19 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

My hubby and I both have a Barclays reward card and he got this same letter today but I didn't, I don't really understand what the letter meant other than saying the account was sold out to Mercury? I'll see if I get a letter too, Both of our cards have a $0 balance and I don't plan on using them anymore after this. If it has been sold, I assume we will get new cards with same cl and a higher rate? 

Message 20 of 308
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.