Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Conversion Letter

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Conversion Letter

In that case, you are probably protected by having a card that started as Sallie Mae.  That means Barclay must have two classes of Rewards cards:  those that were issued as Rewards (and these are sub-prime or near-prime), and those that started as premium cards and ended up as Rewards through a product change.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 91 of 308
Riopratap
Valued Member

Message 92 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Riopratap wrote:

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/citi-buys-15b-llbean-credit-card-portfolio-from-barclays

Looks like barclays is on all out sale

Now if they would just sell Uber to somebody I could do a PC with ....

Message 93 of 308
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Riopratap wrote:

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/citi-buys-15b-llbean-credit-card-portfolio-from-barclays

Looks like barclays is on all out sale

Now if they would just sell Uber to somebody I could do a PC with ....

LL Bean and Citi is old news from May: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/LL-Bean-MasterCard-to-be-Issued-by-Citi/m-p/5249855

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 94 of 308
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In that case, you are probably protected by having a card that started as Sallie Mae.  That means Barclay must have two classes of Rewards cards:  those that were issued as Rewards (and these are sub-prime or near-prime), and those that started as premium cards and ended up as Rewards through a product change.

If memory serves me correctly, yes, Barclays used to issue 2 completely different Rewards cards, one for rebuilding and the other was for good to excellent credit.

Message 95 of 308
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, yes, Barclays used to issue 2 completely different Rewards cards, one for rebuilding and the other was for good to excellent credit.

"Rewards for Average Credit" IIRC?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 96 of 308
Riopratap
Valued Member

I guess I will look for new card, I have Amex platinum pre approval . But annual fee of $550 I think is little bit high as 99 percent time I spend in New York. Might be next year when I have a lot of business travel.

Any suggestions ? Barclays card is big no no. Again they will sale to somebody else who knows. 

Already got capital venture, Amex bluecash, discover, capitone platinum,city simplicity, Chase business, Chase sapphire .

Message 97 of 308
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

To add an extra DP...

I’ve had an Arrival+ WEMC and just received this letter. Ironically I got an auto-CLI about a month ago to almost double my SL (from 7k to 12k).

Haven’t quite figured out my plan of action yet but thinking of apping a new card and closing my Barclay account before the conversion date. I’ll hate losing the CL but I don’t need a cash back card with an annual fee. Nor do I like doing business with a bank I have no knowledge of.

OAN, not sure why they would convert a travel card to a cash back card but, shrug. Their loss.

Edit to add that my account was never a Rewards account.
In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 98 of 308
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

Got my letter today for my Arrival+ WEMC changing to Mercury WEMC.

Sucks .

For clarification the bank isn't Mercury.  The Bank is First Bank & Trust Brookings, SD.  The Card name is Mercury.

Message 99 of 308
Jetboy
Regular Contributor

@goal_digger wrote:
To add an extra DP...

I’ve had an Arrival+ WEMC and just received this letter. Ironically I got an auto-CLI about a month ago to almost double my SL (from 7k to 12k).

Haven’t quite figured out my plan of action yet but thinking of apping a new card and closing my Barclay account before the conversion date. I’ll hate losing the CL but I don’t need a cash back card with an annual fee. Nor do I like doing business with a bank I have no knowledge of.

OAN, not sure why they would convert a travel card to a cash back card but, shrug. Their loss.

Edit to add that my account was never a Rewards account.

I am surprised they are doing this to some Arrival + WEMC accounts. I thought the Arrival cards was a premium card offering of Barclays and that none of them would have been considered to be sold off like this. If I get the letter I will let everyone know. Good luck with what everyone decides to do.

Message 100 of 308
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.