cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Conversion Letter

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Conversion Letter

In that case, you are probably protected by having a card that started as Sallie Mae.  That means Barclay must have two classes of Rewards cards:  those that were issued as Rewards (and these are sub-prime or near-prime), and those that started as premium cards and ended up as Rewards through a product change.

Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards • and five cards in the sock drawer

No CC debt • No bonus chasing • No app sprees • No gift cards • No AZEO • No airline incidentals • No hotel cards • No store cards • No business cards • No authorized users
Message 91 of 308
Valued Member

Message 92 of 308
Frequent Contributor

@Riopratap wrote:

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/citi-buys-15b-llbean-credit-card-portfolio-from-barclays

Looks like barclays is on all out sale

Now if they would just sell Uber to somebody I could do a PC with ....

Message 93 of 308
Senior Contributor

@TXBlueBonnet wrote:

@Riopratap wrote:

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/citi-buys-15b-llbean-credit-card-portfolio-from-barclays

Looks like barclays is on all out sale

Now if they would just sell Uber to somebody I could do a PC with ....

LL Bean and Citi is old news from May: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/LL-Bean-MasterCard-to-be-Issued-by-Citi/m-p/5249855

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 94 of 308

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In that case, you are probably protected by having a card that started as Sallie Mae.  That means Barclay must have two classes of Rewards cards:  those that were issued as Rewards (and these are sub-prime or near-prime), and those that started as premium cards and ended up as Rewards through a product change.

If memory serves me correctly, yes, Barclays used to issue 2 completely different Rewards cards, one for rebuilding and the other was for good to excellent credit.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 95 of 308
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, yes, Barclays used to issue 2 completely different Rewards cards, one for rebuilding and the other was for good to excellent credit.

"Rewards for Average Credit" IIRC?

Most spend: CSR, CFU, BBP
Rewards/AAoA ballast: CF, Discover, Costco, ED, Arrival
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG49, Hyatt75, Brilliant, Delta Platinum
Potential closures/downgrades: Savor, BCP, Double Cash
Message 96 of 308
Valued Member

I guess I will look for new card, I have Amex platinum pre approval . But annual fee of $550 I think is little bit high as 99 percent time I spend in New York. Might be next year when I have a lot of business travel.

Any suggestions ? Barclays card is big no no. Again they will sale to somebody else who knows. 

Already got capital venture, Amex bluecash, discover, capitone platinum,city simplicity, Chase business, Chase sapphire .

Message 97 of 308
Regular Contributor

To add an extra DP...

I’ve had an Arrival+ WEMC and just received this letter. Ironically I got an auto-CLI about a month ago to almost double my SL (from 7k to 12k).

Haven’t quite figured out my plan of action yet but thinking of apping a new card and closing my Barclay account before the conversion date. I’ll hate losing the CL but I don’t need a cash back card with an annual fee. Nor do I like doing business with a bank I have no knowledge of.

OAN, not sure why they would convert a travel card to a cash back card but, shrug. Their loss.

Edit to add that my account was never a Rewards account.
In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 98 of 308
Regular Contributor

Got my letter today for my Arrival+ WEMC changing to Mercury WEMC.

Sucks .

For clarification the bank isn't Mercury.  The Bank is First Bank & Trust Brookings, SD.  The Card name is Mercury.

Message 99 of 308
Regular Contributor

@goal_digger wrote:
To add an extra DP...

I’ve had an Arrival+ WEMC and just received this letter. Ironically I got an auto-CLI about a month ago to almost double my SL (from 7k to 12k).

Haven’t quite figured out my plan of action yet but thinking of apping a new card and closing my Barclay account before the conversion date. I’ll hate losing the CL but I don’t need a cash back card with an annual fee. Nor do I like doing business with a bank I have no knowledge of.

OAN, not sure why they would convert a travel card to a cash back card but, shrug. Their loss.

Edit to add that my account was never a Rewards account.

I am surprised they are doing this to some Arrival + WEMC accounts. I thought the Arrival cards was a premium card offering of Barclays and that none of them would have been considered to be sold off like this. If I get the letter I will let everyone know. Good luck with what everyone decides to do.

NFCU Flagship 24k - travel | FNBO Travelite 21k - travel | Capital One Savor 14k - dining | Fidelity Rewards 20k - bills | RBFCU Mastercard 20k - bills

Message 100 of 308
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.