Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard NFL Visa Platinum card PC

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Barclaycard NFL Visa Platinum card PC

So, I sent a message yesterday requesting for an upgrade to a Visa Signature card for my NFL Visa card and here is the message I received:

Dear ******* :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Patriots Extra Points Visa Card. We can certainly address your request.

We understand your desire for the Visa Signature card; however, we cannot upgrade or change your current account. Our current policy prevents us from upgrading or replacing your Visa Platinum account. New Federal regulations place certain restrictions on product changes and we are currently working hard towards meeting these requirement. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Service

After reading that, all I could say is what the heck?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclaycard NFL Visa Platinum card PC

@IcEWoLF wrote:

So, I sent a message yesterday requesting for an upgrade to a Visa Signature card for my NFL Visa card and here is the message I received:

Dear ******* :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Patriots Extra Points Visa Card. We can certainly address your request.

We understand your desire for the Visa Signature card; however, we cannot upgrade or change your current account. Our current policy prevents us from upgrading or replacing your Visa Platinum account. New Federal regulations place certain restrictions on product changes and we are currently working hard towards meeting these requirement. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message. 

Sincerely,

Customer Service

After reading that, all I could say is what the heck?

Barclays product policies are just strict, that's all.  Here's the issue, before the Card Act, you could switch versions, you could switch products, you could downgrade or upgrade (AF or non-AF).  Post the enactment period, only certain product families could be PC'd.

Bottom line is, if you were/are approved for a Platinum version of any Barclays product, it stays Platinum for the rest of its account history - regardless if you receive any CLIs that would place it above other comparable cards that would qualify for either Visa Signature or WMC versions.  By the same token, if you have a Visa Signature or WMC (especially products with AFs) you cannot downgrade to a non-AF product or version.

In rare instances, if you are approved and fall shy of the CL and WMC/ Visa Signature version threshold, a few have encountered some success but it has to be reviewed by an underwriter within 24-48 hours from approval to be considered, and provided you qualify.  Otherwise, Platinum it is.  It is not unusual, although silly, for folks to have two of the same products in two versions.

Otherwise, the only possible PCs would be to other elegible products (i.e. Ring to Arrival, partner cards to Arrival, etc).  The AMEX version cannot be PC'd to Visa or MC.

Message 2 of 6
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

FinStar, thank you so much for the explanation, now that makes a lot more sense.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 3 of 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Barclays product policies are just strict, that's all.  Here's the issue, before the Card Act, you could switch versions, you could switch products, you could downgrade or upgrade (AF or non-AF).  Post the enactment period, only certain product families could be PC'd.

Bottom line is, if you were/are approved for a Platinum version of any Barclays product, it stays Platinum for the rest of its account history - regardless if you receive any CLIs that would place it above other comparable cards that would qualify for either Visa Signature or WMC versions.  By the same token, if you have a Visa Signature or WMC (especially products with AFs) you cannot downgrade to a non-AF product or version.

In rare instances, if you are approved and fall shy of the CL and WMC/ Visa Signature version threshold, a few have encountered some success but it has to be reviewed by an underwriter within 24-48 hours from approval to be considered, and provided you qualify.  Otherwise, Platinum it is.  It is not unusual, although silly, for folks to have two of the same products in two versions.

Otherwise, the only possible PCs would be to other elegible products (i.e. Ring to Arrival, partner cards to Arrival, etc).  The AMEX version cannot be PC'd to Visa or MC.

The Card Act shouldn't block customer initiated changes but some issuers have decided it does. PC restriction has to do with specific contractual agreements in place with issuers that stipulate they cannot for example product change outside a family of products. Citi allows AA to TY but Chase doesn't allow UA to Disney, AmEx allows Delta to Blue, etc.

Also Barclays does allow PC from AF to non-AF products but it's a retention offer and those offers vary. There is a no AF US Airways product you can be changed into as a save offer. The only way to find out is if you call to see what save offers are available.

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mxp114 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

The Card Act shouldn't block customer initiated changes but some issuers have decided it does. PC restriction has to do with specific contractual agreements in place with issuers that stipulate they cannot for example product change outside a family of products. Citi allows AA to TY but Chase doesn't allow UA to Disney, AmEx allows Delta to Blue, etc.

Also Barclays does allow PC from AF to non-AF products but it's a retention offer and those offers vary. There is a no AF US Airways product you can be changed into as a save offer. The only way to find out is if you call to see what save offers are available.

Correct, it was not implied that the Card Act "forced" them to do so.  Barclays and other lenders revised their own internal (stricter) policies to adhere (indirectly) with some of those regulatory changes.

Additionally, their retention department determines the AF/non-AF stipulations since it is a YEMV situation and not all AF/non-AF products are elegible for PC.

Message 5 of 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Correct, it was not implied that the Card Act "forced" them to do so.  Barclays and other lenders revised their own internal (stricter) policies to adhere (indirectly) with some of those regulatory changes.

Additionally, their retention department determines the AF/non-AF stipulations since it is a YEMV situation and not all AF/non-AF products are elegible for PC.

I think it was implied and since your wording doesn't specify, I decided to add the additional information for further clarity.

Yeah I made it clear it is YEMV but you said it cannot be done and I pointed out that it can be done. I also provided a specific example of downgrading an AF based WMC into a fee-free WMC product. So while everyone may not qualify, it certainly can be done with Barclays. In December, I bet they will also allow it with Arrival as a way to save an account from closing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.